27. The Egg and Advice

With Harry finally deciding to listen to me, we had to devise a plan to get into the prefect's bathroom. Arthur gave us the password, and told us it would be best to go while everybody was asleep.

To quote Arthur: the prefects wouldn't really want some fourth years mucking around with a golden egg, while their trying to pee. Yes, sometimes his humor was a bit random. I could see where Cole got his random streak from, at long last.

We planned this excursion carefully, because Harry had been caught out of bed and out-of-bounds by Filch the caretaker in the middle of the night once before, and had no desire to repeat the experience.

The Invisibility Cloak would, of course, be essential, and as an added precaution, the Marauders Map. It was given to me by Uncle Remus, and probably one of the most important items I owned.

On Thursday night, we slipped under the cloak, and had Ron open the portrait for us. And then, we headed off into the night.

 It was awkward moving under the cloak tonight, because Harry had his heavy egg under one arm (it was pointless to take two, really) , and I had to crouch down so my feet wouldn't be seen. With the map under my nose, and my wand lighting my train of vision.

Thankfully, the corridors were silent, and by checking the map at strategic intervals, I was able to ensure that we wouldn't run into anyone we wanted to avoid.

When we reached the statue of Boris the Bewildered, a lost-looking wizard with his gloves on the wrong hands, Harry located the right door, leaned close to it, and muttered the password, “Pine fresh,” just as both Cedric and Arthur had told us.

 The door creaked open. Harry slipped inside, bolted the door behind us, and pulled off the Invisibility Cloak from our heads. 

I looked around the room, with admiration. "Well," I announced. "It would be worth becoming  a prefect, just to use the bathrooms!"

 It was softly lit by a splendid candle-filled chandelier, and everything was made of white marble, including what looked like an empty, rectangular swimming pool sunk into the middle of the floor. About a hundred golden taps stood all around the pools edges, each with a differently colored Jewel set into its handle. There was also a diving board.

"Okay, this was totally worth bringing my swimming costume for." I said, going into my hooded jacket.

"Why'd you bring your swimming costume?" Harry said in confusion. "It's a bath."

"And you are my brother." I said slowly. "Harry, did it occur to you that sharing a bath with a sibling, is something you do you're little? I bet we shared baths when we were like one, but not now. We wear swimming costumes."

"Oh." Harry said quietly. "I didn't think of that."

"Of course you didn't." I sighed, rubbing at my forehead in irritation. "What are you going to wear, then?"

"My pants, I suppose." Harry said, turning a shade of bright red.

"Oh for heaven's sake, no wonder there are rumors going on about us!" I burst out, and to vent my frustration, I turned on several of taps.

"I still think Cedric's having me on, though." Harry announced, as if that would make the situation any better.

"Never mind your jealousy for a moment," I said impatiently. "Look at these taps!"

One tap gushed pink and blue bubbles the size of footballs; another poured ice-white foam so thick that I thought it would have supported his weight if I’d cared to test it (Harry said he would laugh if I tried it and didn't work); a third sent heavily perfumed purple clouds hovering over the surface of the water.