2

Sonnett was at the airport right now, and her phone just died. She had no idea where to go, so she decided to walk down the streets and try to ask people passing by if they could help her finding the hospital. She hadn't had the opportunity to visit Portland while she was with the Thorns, doing back and forth between her flat and the field.

When a car stopped next to her, she couldn't believe it. Samantha Mewis was behind the steering wheel, and waved at her. She immediately went on the car, putting her bag on the trunk before sitting next to Sam. The blonde immediately started the car, and there was a very awkward silence between the two. Their last meeting was when they almost kissed because of Sammy, and they hadn't talked since.

Emily knew Kristie and Steph weren't part of the final 18 for the Olympics. Jill Ellis told her that there wasn't enough room, and even though the four people she didn't call up were very good, she couldn't afford to take them with. On the other hand, Mal Pugh and Crystal Dunn were called up. Emily was glad that herself and Sammy were at least alternate. (AN/I chose to include the normal roster on this book, so there are the 18 players on the roster, and the 4 alternates)

They arrived at the hospital less than half an hour afterwards. Emily awkwardly stepped in front of Sam before they entered the room.

- Look, I don't want us to be awkward, she said in a very serious tone. I don't want to loose my friend.

Sam looked at her with surprise in her eyes.

- You're not mad at me for... what happened during camp ? she asked shyly.

- No ! God, no!

Emily hugged her, and it was such a natural move. Sam returned the embrace, before letting her go. The two friends entered the waiting room.

***

Kelley was a mess.

She's been crying all day and night, and even Ali wasn't able to comfort her. The girls were surprised with this reaction, since they didn't know Kelley and Allie were such good friends. Tobin was sitting next to her, holding her hand, while Alex was trying to find a doctor to get an update. Sonnett and Sam were sitting next to each other as well, while Lindsey was driving Dagny home. Jill Ellis was called, and on her way.

When they finally were alone, Tobin decided to speak to Kelley.

- I didn't know you cared about Allie that much, she let out, honest.

- Tobs..., Kelley said in a weak voice.

The Jersey girl waited for her friend to formulate a proper answer. Kelley wiped her tears, and looked at her.

- I'm in love with her.

Tobin raised both of her eyebrows. Of course it came as a shock. She couldn't believe she didn't see two of her best friends fall for each other. Kelley explained her how they got closer, and how she'd fallen for her way to hard. Tobin listened with attention, still surprised. She wasn't mad, but just didn't understand why Allie didn't tell her the truth. Alex and her saw them kiss at the party during camp, and still, they told them nothing was going on.

Tobin finally wrapped an arm around Kelley's shoulder. The tiny girl rested her head on Tobin's shoulder, trying hard not to cry.

- It's okay, Kels, Tobin said. You are perfect for her.

- We can't loose her, Tobs, Kelley whispered, out of breath.

- We won't, Tobin said with confidence in her voice. Allie's a fighter. She'll figure out a way to come back to us.

Kelley nodded.

The others came back to find their two friends in a deep discussion. Ash and Ali just went on the other corner of the room, holding each other's hands. Ali didn't know Allie that well, but Ash liked her a lot. They were roommates once, and Ashlyn laughed more that night than in a full month, thanks to Allie's sarcasm. Sonnett and Lindsey of course knew her from the Thorns, and the blonde was so funny and serious at the same time that she's become a real rock for them.

While looking at her team, Kelley had a twinge of sorrow. Of course they were an incredible group of women, but Allie's got such an impact in her life in such a short period of time that she was actually scared to death. She didn't want to loose her.

Alex came back near them, and wrapped an arm around Kelley's shoulders. The Georgia girl began to cry again, an all Alex could do was holding her tighter.

- It's gonna be okay, Kel. We won't loose her.

At the same moment, the doctor came in. He seemed tired after a long surgery. All the girls got up in a second, and the doctor looked at them with a tired glare.

- Are you here for miss Long ? he slowly asked.

- Yah, Tobin immediately said.

There was a death silence, and nobody was able to breath properly. Tobin, Kelley and Alex felt their hearts miss several heartbeats, while they were waiting for what it felt forever...
What is forever in a lifetime ?