4

Crystal had never thought that her longtime friend and teammate - also her captain during the u-20 world cup, which they won - would keep a secret from her.

It's when she went to the Johnston's house, where Julie usually spent her free time and off-seasons, that she knew something was wrong. Her mother told Crystal that she never wanted to hear about her daughter again, and that she was a real shame for the whole family. Quite surprised, Crystal then tried to reach the blonde, but she didn't pick up the phone.

So when Crystal went to the supermarket, her phone still in her ear so that she could try and reach someone - anyone that got any information on Julie's situation - she froze. She just didn't have to press the "call" button again. Right in front of her, there was a magazine. She recognized Julie's blonde hair, and also Christen's dark hair.

They were kissing, and the title said : Soccer stars Johnston and Press secretly dating ? When Crystal took it in her hand, there was no doubt possible : her two friends were indeed kissing.

Now, she was hanging out at Tobin's place. She wasn't very close to Allie Long - she didn't really knew the girl - but she wanted to support Tobin, since Kelley was spending her time near the blonde midfielder, while Lindsey was practicing with some of her Thorns teammates. The others left Portland.

Tobin seemed very tired.

- Do you need anything ? Crystal asked, a comforting smile on her lips. Coffee ?

The brunette chuckled.

- Yah, coffee would be great, she let out.

While she was doing them some coffee, Crystal finally asked her friend about the JJ-Pressy relationship. Tobin told her about how they got together, destroying a wedding and everything. Crystal was pretty shocked : Julie invited her at her wedding, but she couldn't be there since her grandfather funeral was the same day. Otherwise, she'd have seen the disaster with her own eyes.

Once Tobin and her both sat on the couch, the oldest smiled wildly.

- Don't worry about Julie, you two will talk soon, she said in a confident tone. It's just a lot to handle in a short period of time.

- Yah, but I just can't believe she didn't tell me anything. I'm supposed to be her best friend, and she didn't even tell me she's had a crush on a girl. That's not friendship.

- She was somehow scared of you reaction, Tobin said. You know her : now she's feeling like she's transgressing God's rules.

- I'm no God ! Crystal exclaimed. She could've talked to me ! I don't care about garbage excuses.

They sat in silence. Tobin knew at that very moment that something broke inside Crystal. She was feeling betrayed, and wasn't gonna forgive Julie right away.

***

- Baby, don't move, Hope yelled from the other side of the room.

Carli, who was peacefully sitting on the couch, reading the newspaper, just had a peek. She immediately freaked out at the sight of two giants cockroaches. She stood on her feet, shaking, before getting on a table nearby.

Her sorta girlfriend rolled her eyes at how miserable the great Carli Lloyd was looking right now. She might be a real beast on the field, but when it came to those little creatures, she just couldn't keep it together.

Hope found her very cute though.

- Hope! Kill them! Carli yelled from where she was standing.

- I like them, the tall girl responded jokingly.

- Then call Ella ! She's a specialist !

- Car, we're in Seattle, Hope reminded her.

She then crushed the two cockroaches under her feet, before walking towards a shaking Carli.

- They're dead, you can come down now princess.

- Are you sure ?? Carli asked, terrified. There could be more ! Did you check the toilets ?

Hope once again rolled her eyes, before taking another step further. She then held Carli like a real princess, the brunette wrapping one of her arm around Hope's neck. The tall girl smiles wildly.

Carli wasn't very happy with the position.

- Okay, you can let me go now, she groaned.

- Not before I do this, Hope let out.

She kissed Carli, and the brunette kissed back. Once Hope put her back on her feet, the midfielder just didn't let go of her embrace.

- Thank you my hero, she said with sarcasm.

- I love you baby.

- I love when you call me that, Carli smiled.

She kissed the keeper once again, before suddenly stopping. Her phone was ringing. She let go of Hope and reached it in a rush. The screen was showing JJ's name.

Carli picked up, not sure why the defender was calling her. She put it on speaker so that Hope could hear it as well.

- Car? Thank God you answered! JJ exclaimed. We're in trouble.

- J, breathe, the captain said, looking at Hope with worriness. What happened ? Who is "we"?

They heard the blonde just take a deep breath, before saying :

- They saw us kissing, Car. The paparazzi, it's all over the news... We're so, so, so sorry. We didn't mean to...

- Bring on some drama before the Olympics ? Carli snapped back, really mad.

Hope remained silent as her girl was yelling at JJ through the phone. She knew this team meant the world to the blonde, and seeing their chances to shine in the Olympics ruined by two of her teammates was pissing her off.

The other girl remained silent, until Carli shut up. Julie's voice came up, and Hope felt bad for her.

- I'm sorry. I know you're upset, and what we did was inexcusable. We know that. But we need our captain.

- You need the whole team, Carli said angrily. We are all in this together. Send a text on that silly group chat. I can't help you.

She took a brief break, before adding in a very cold tone :

- I'm very disappointed in you Julie. I thought your love for the game and this team would come before some silly love story.

She then hung up the phone, and threw it across the room. Hope didn't know why, but her reaction pissed her off.

- You went too hard on her, the tall keeper said.

- What? But, Hope, she just did a big mistake !

- Falling in love is a mistake to you ?

- No, Carli said. I didn't mean to...

- I heard what you said, Car. I'm sorry but we are just like JJ and Pressy. A "silly love story".

- Hope, I...

But the dark-haired just left the room, leaving a speechless Carli Lloyd alone with her thoughts.