Chapter 10

After a while I got RJ to sleep then went to our room. Meek was in there smoking and everyone else was gone. I sat on the bed next to him.

"RJ sleep?"

"Yeah."

He nodded his head and blew out smoke then looked over at me.

"What happened in there?"

I explained everything to him leaving nothing out and he chuckled at the end.

"He's dead."

"Robert please-"

"He laid his hands on you Dauvinee. Touched you in ways that you didn't want to be touched. I'm going to kill him."

"Think about RJ. Do you really want to see him grow up through a glass because you're in jail for murder?"

"I won't get caught."

I took his blunt from him and placed it in the ashtray putting it out then sat on his lap facing him. His eyes were low, but I could still look into them.

"You love me Robert?"

"More than anything."

"You want us to be a family? Have more kids?"

"Of course."

"How can we do that if you're sitting in a jail cell for the rest of your life?"

He remained quiet.

"I love you too much to let you kill someone. He'll get his when the time comes. You're doing better in life and heading in the right direction. Don't let a lowdown nigga bring you back to the bottom. He wants me, but can't have me. I'm yours and that's all I want to be."

He looked at me.

"What you saying?"

"I'm saying if you continue in the right direction then we can work on us again. We can become a family, but I need to see it and not just hear it."

"Yo you serious? We can work on getting back together?!"

"Yes Robert I'm serious. I want us to be a family, but I need you to show me you're ready for that lifestyle. With that comes dedication. No more hoes, no more late nights, no more hanging with the boys 24/7, and no more running the streets. It takes work to be a family man. Are you sure you're ready for that?"

"Yes. Yes Dauvinee I'm so ready for that."

He gave me a kiss and flipped me over so I was laying underneath him. His phone rang and he just completely turned it off.

"You could've answered."

"Nah. Starting now things change. My boys take a backseat. My family riding shotgun."

I smiled and pulled him back down on top of me.

(Morning)

I made my boys breakfast then got ready for school while they ate. After we were all ready we got in the car and made our way to my school. Rob and I were holding hands while he drove and RJ noticed.

"Daddy?"

"Yeah son?"

"Are you and mommy together?"

Rob looked over at me.

"We're working on it son."

He kissed my lips tenderly and I felt danger approaching so I opened my eyes.

"ROBERT-"

All I saw was a gun and bullets went flying everywhere. I felt something hit me as I jumped in the back to cover our son. He was my main concern. My baby boy.