Chapter 12

"My question is... How are we supposed to finish advertising when nobody is even going to be at school?" Zay asked me as I spun around in his black roller chair that was I front of the desk. He sat in his little bean bag chair across the room from me with the blank posters in his hands. He was very artistic and I let him do all the drawing as for me I did most of the writing part. We had a great partnership when it came to this.

"I don't even know..." I mumble to myself before Zoey walked through the open door of his room.

"Hey Myra can you braid my hair?" She asked me pouting her lips while holding a comb and a bottle of conditioner out towards me. She could never get my name right, it was either Myra or Kyra, or Tyla, or something random like Michelle. I didn't fault her thought. Xavier probably had girls running through here like it was Victoria Secret.

"Of course, sweetie" I said taking the bottle and comb out of her hands and sitting her in my lap. Tilting her head down, I began parting her thick soft hair.

"Why do you spoil her so much?She doesn't even know your name" Zay said to me as I lathered the conditioner onto her lock of hair and detangling it before shrugging my shoulders. I'd been back and for over his house trying to finish the project and his dad was pretty cool despite how he looked and his little sister was growing on me.

"I guess I just always wanted a little sister" I said honestly before braiding the strand and moving on the the next one.

"Her name is Nyla, Zoe" he stated.

"Das what I said" she claimed before scratching her arm and playing with the strands of carpet under her legs.

"I saw you today sitting with your little football friends" I said smirking trying to slyly bring up Tori. He nodded before talking about how cool it was that Chris Paul came to the school.

"Yea I was sitting with my friend Tori, you know Tori?" I asked him before he squinted his eyes at me and cocked his head to the side before shaking his head no.

"Well you should meet her. I think you'd like her. She's really cool" I said shrugging and continuing Zoey's hair before she spoke in her little innocent voice.

"I thought Zay already like you doe" she claimed look up at me with her adorable light brown eyes as I shook my head and looked up at him to see him drawing on the board as if he didn't hear her.

"Did you hear about Shawn's party?" He asked after a moment of silence between all three of us. I nodded my head in response.

"You want to go? I think it just started.." He suggested making me raise my eyebrows. I hesitated for a moment since I, and everyone else, knew what happened at Shawn's parties.

"Can I go?" Zoey asked making us laugh.

"Nah, Zo. This party is for grown folks" he said setting the board down beside him and getting up from his bean bag as I sectioned off her scalp.

"Yea I'll go" I replied after thinking it over. This was the first time I would have hung out with him outside of our project. I concluded that it would be just us taking a break from it.

"Want me to take you home so you can get ready? Or you want to drive back and meet me there? It's up to you" he suggested as I was finishing Zoey's hair.

"Um I'll ride with you. I don't know where his house is by heart." I answered doing the last braid and tying her hair up in her orange head wrap. She looked like a gorgeous little African women with it on. He nodded as he set the board in his closet. He took his shirt off and threw it into the bin next to his dresser and you could easily see his defined muscles . My eyes widened before turning my head and picking Zoey up, setting her on my hip and carrying her to a room that I predicted was hers since the walls were pink and purple with Princess Tiana stickers all over the walls. She had a mountain of brown skinned Barbie dolls in the corner of her room in a basket next to a three foot doll house. I was thinking back to my childhood and realize my room was like a prison cell compared to hers.

"Wanna play dressup?" She asked me with her wide eyed expressed holding out a tutu towards me.
*

This trip to Florida did the exact opposite of what I had planned for it to do. It was more of a distraction from the story than a boost but I get back in a couple of days so I should be able to get back on track. Also this was a way better chapter than the last one so I'm gradually getting back to where I want to be in reference to writing the story so comment, vote, make suggestions. I'm still questioning whether I want to writing in different points of view so let me know if I should or not 👍🏾

-M✨