Chapter 1

"Fuck!" I yelled at my freshly manicured nail that snapped off onto the floor as I tried to close my dresser. I groaned in annoyance and continued getting dressed. Not only had my day just started and I've already been pissing myself off but I also knew that my parents and my older brother would just make it worse. Every day I tried to ignore them at all costs and somehow they'd continue to ruin my life.

I answered my buzzing phone that fell off my nightstand onto my hardwood floor. I just couldn't catch a break today.

"Hola, Chica" my best friend greeted me with her usual uppity and enthusiastic mood. She was like the complete opposite of me in every way.

"You almost ready? I'm around the corner, and grab me one of the cereal bars that your mom be buying." She informed me making me roll my eyes. I knew that if I had gone into the kitchen someone would be in there to hop, skip, and jump on my last nerve. I finished packing my beach bag and over night bag before almost tip toeing around the house, hoping no one would notice me.

As I had suspected, my mother was sitting at the bar counter drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. I sighed preparing myself for the verbal attack that I was getting ready to receive from my bitchy mother. I walked past her up to the cabinets where all the crackers, and cereals, and oatmeal, and things were to grab a couple bars and opened the refrigerator to grab two waters before my mother snapped as I knew she would.

"Nyla Penelope Scott! I taught you better than to completely ignore me as well as not to say at least a hello. And where are you going?" She blew crossing her arms and raising an eyebrow at me. After internally rolling my eyes, I spoke.

"Good morning....Valerie is picking me up and we're going to the beach" I sighed before stuffing the waters in my bag and the cereal bars.

"Did you even think to ask me if it was ok for you to run the streets like you're an adult?" She began raising her voice. I started to get upset but I knew it would only make things worse. I looked down at my phone to see that Val had texted me 4 minutes ago saying that she was outside.

"I asked you if I could go yesterday morning and you said yes, mom" I sighed rolling my eyes externally now. She looked at me weird before saying "oh".

"Well, have a good time" she said to me before picking her paper back up. I shook my head before storming out of the house. I swear I could not stand my family. I was so excited that I'd legally be an adult next month and I'd be off to college. We only had 7 more days of school left and I would officially graduated.

I skipped down the stairs of my porch and down the walkway before getting in the passengers side and closing the door behind me.

"What took you so long, Mamacita?" Valerie asked me pulling out of my drive way. I rested my head back on the head rest and closed my eyes. I couldn't take much more of my family, I really couldn't. It was almost exhausting walking on eggshells to keep them happy and it was as if my feelings didn't matter.

"I'm just glad to be out of the house" I sighed opening my phone to see a text from Genesis asking me if Val and I were going to the beach.

"Gen wants us to pick her up. She said she'll be ready by the time we get there." I informed Val before she made a sharp right onto the highway. She nodded and turned the radio down.

"I need to talk to her too, about that grimy nigga she supposedly talks to." She said shaking her head. I cocked my head to the side trying to recollect what guy she was talking about. After a couple of seconds his face appeared in my mind.

"Ohh ,Cairo?" I assured. He seemed like a really sweet guy and I'd never expected him to mistreat anyone, especially not Genesis. They seemed like they were really happy together and I've never seen him around school with anyone but his basketball team and Gen.

"Yea, last night I went to Walmart to cash my check and I saw Cairo there. He wasn't with anyone but while I was walking past him I noticed that he was buying pregnancy tests. Like probably 8 or 9 home pregnancy tests." I looked over at her wide-eyed as multiple thoughts ran through my head. Was Gen pregnant?

"You think Gen's pregnant?" I asked her praying that she wasn't. She had many scholarships to colleges all over the country and a baby wouldn't help her situation.

"No, Ny! She told me that they haven't even had sex yet!" She hollered helping me understand the grimy part about it all. If the tests weren't for Gen, who were they for?"

"Damn" I retorted. I didn't want to make a false accusation and break up a healthy relationship with nonsense.
*

How do you guys like it? I didn't want to move the story along too fast or slow so I hope the pace that the story is developing at is nice. If you like it so far comment and vote and all that good stuff
-M ✨

I'm multimedia:
Left= Nyla
Top= Valerie
Bottom= Genesis