Winter Break Ski-Trip Gone De-Civilized

It was a marvelously chilly late December morning. A fresh coat of fluffy white snow had nested over the rooftops and sidewalks of the sleepy little town, complementing perfectly the peaceful atmosphere that ensued just after Christmas was celebrated, with gourmet dining, warm gatherings and cheerful carrols. The first of the townsfolk were up at the crack of dawn; three teenage girls, envelopped in their warmest winter attire, accompanied by a portly man, struggling to cram through the barrier of snow in his yard and cursing at the ephermal remnants of the previous evening's weather which beheld as consequence this abundance of damp residue.

"Who's smartass idea was it to plan a fieldtrip the day after Christmas?" Rachel remarked in aggitation, sliding her scarf down to underneath her chin and exposing her nose and cheeks, which would soon redden beneath the frosty air, "I feel so drowsy from staying up so late and sleeping barely a couple of hours."

"No one made you sign up for it," Becky retorted, growing weary of her sister's complaints as she trailed after her, careful to step over the imbeded imprints in the snow, previously established by those leading the way to the car, "In fact, you made us sign up for it!"

Mr Montague yawned. He did not care to contribute any comments to the following argument as he indulged in his own fit of fatigue and temporary contempt for his wife, who had forced him to drive the kids to the school yard at the first notice of the condition of the roads and chill in the air, while she lay peacefully napping in their warm bed. Morosely, he instigatend the car engine and allowed it to warm while he scraped the frost bites and residual snow off the car doors and windows as best he could. Becky and Merry-Sue climbed into the back seats as Rachel assumed the passenter seat (she had beat Becky to this seat for life by simply being born first). The ride, aside from taking double the usual duration, was relatively smooth; there was practically no traffic, what with it being so early and on the morning after Christmas Day, and on most of the main roads a safe path had been cleared. They had to stray from their usual route, but the important thing was that they made their destination safely; and with plenty of time to spare, as most of the faculty, other students and even bus driver encountered similar adversity.

"Bye dad," the sisters bid as they escaped the warm embrace of the car and stepped into the unforgiving air. Merry-Sue followed them, rocking a very cave fashioned fake leopard skin coat (made from scraps of the spare clothes she brought from home and sewn clumsily together by Rachel). Becky attempted to get the vending machine in the school yard to work while they waited for the arrival of the bus, to aid warmth and encourage wakefullness, but the contraption had practically frozen. She cursed under her breath, exhailing a fit of smoke in the process.

"I'm gonna go say hi to Ren," Rachel excused herself, to which her sister rolled her eyes. She and Merry-Sue were left shaking alone on the edge of the perpetuously expanding crowd of students and teachers. Becky would anticipate each instance where Merry-Sue would attempt a manifestation of curiosity, and sufficed to prolong a mute conversation. She would simply shoot at her a death glare which meant "Not now Merry-Sue, I'm tired and I can't deal with you."

Finally, the arrival of the bus was met with a sigh of overwhelming relief. An abundance of freezing individuals sprung to evade further exposure to the unfavorable outside temperature. Becky muttered an envious response at the sight of her sister being among the first to be allowed into the bus while she and the cave girl had to wait, as they were on the very outskirts of the crowd the entire time. Upon entering at last, the pair sought refuge on the few of the remaining seats. Becky immediately called the window seat, as she strongly intended to nap the second she was seated comfortably. But this beautiful vision of tranquility was shattered after Merry-Sue plopped down beside her and momentarily engaged in conversation.