The Interruption

Demi's Pov

All night, I think of Maya. She's like me in so many ways. Broken and bruised, she's been mistreated by a lot of people, and she's hurting inside. I want to help her so much, and make everything better.. But i already know from experience, that it's going to be a process. The next morning, I start making breakfast, and Maya comes down still in her pajamas. "Good morning Maya," I say cheerfully, and she smiles at me and sits down. I serve her breakfast, and she stared fixedly at her plate. For one second, I think she might have an eating disorder, but just because I had one, doesn't mean she does. So I sit down, and start eating my breakfast. She continues to stare at her plate, her blue eyes are wide, and finally I ask her, "Maya, why aren't you eating? Aren't you hungry?" Maya shakes her head. Maya says "I'm not hungry Demi, do I have to eat?" I was about to tell her that she has to take one bite before school, but the door bursts open, and there's my boyfriend, Wilmer and my friend, Selena. "Hi Demi!" Selena says and she gives me a warm hug. I'm so happy to see her. She's been my best friend since I was seven. Maya says "Selena Gomez?"And Selena turns around. "Oh my goodness! Who's this little girl?" she asks me sweetly. I forgot to tell Selena.. "She's my daughter, I found her, and well, I adopted her, and her name is Maya." Maya says "H-hi Selena?" "Hi Maya! It's so nice to meet you. You're a lovely girl," she says. I smile, and so does Maya who looks very nervous. Wilmer introduces himself to Maya, and he makes her laugh. "Maya's going to be starting school today!" I tell them, and Maya looks at me terrified. "It's okay, Maya, it's the same school that you've been going to," I say, but that makes her more upset. "Hey sweetheart, why are you sad?" Wilmer asks. Maya looks up at him.. "Because.. People at school don't understand me," Maya says. Selena and Wilmer sit down, and so do I.

Maya's Pov

I'm going to the same school as Missy. I don't know what to do. When she finds out I'm Demi's daughter, she'll hurt me more than ever. Demi says, "I know it must be hard to fit in since you've been through so much." I nod looking down. "But hey guess what?" Selena says. "You have an amazing mother, and when you go to school, just think of the good things that you have, and don't let the others tear you down." I say "Sure, I guess." Demi said "Hey, cheer up i'll be right there through thick and thin babygirl." "We're rooting for you all the way," Wilmer says. Feeling a little reassured and comforted by all the support I was getting, I took one bite of my cereal. "Done!" I said. "Thank you Wilmer! Thank you Selena! Thank you Mom!" I say as I hug each of them and run upstairs to my room.