Staying Strong

Demi's Pov

I've been so worried about Maya. Today, she is coming home from the hospital, and the doctor told me to give her her medication every day, and make sure she's safe. I will do everything in my power to make sure she's safe. I'll keep her in arms reach, and away from any harm. I don't want her alone basically anywhere, I even called the school and told them what happened, and she has to have a buddy walk with her to every class and even when she has to go to the bathroom. I know I'm being overprotective, but I care too much about Maya to leave her alone.. The door opens and slams shut and Maya stood there with her arms crossed saying "What the heck?!" "Maya! Did you walk home alone?!" I ask. Maya said "What if I did?! I'm not two!" "I need to keep you safe!" I say exasperated. "And how am I supposed to do that if you're alone most of the time?" Maya says "Gosh! Leave me alone, I hate you!" My heart breaks as she stomps upstairs into her room and slams the door. I sit on the couch and bury my face into my hands, and tears run down my face. I'm only trying to help her, I don't want her to leave me!! Again!! I sob. And then I hear the door creak open, and Maya gently tiptoes down the stairs. She wraps her arm around me. "I'm sorry Mom," she says. I put her on my lay as I hold her frail body tightly while my other hands stroked her hair. I wiped my tears and said "Let's get the syringe out so you can eat?" Maya frowns, and then says "Okay Mom." That's my girl," I said.

Maya's Pov

The next morning, I go down to breakfast to find a bunch of people sitting at the table. I rubbed my eyes and said "Demi?" "Good morning Maya, this is my mom, my older sister Dallas and my little sister Madison!" "Hi Maya!!" Madison exclaims, and she hugs me. "We've heard so much about you! You're beautiful!," Dallas says, and I smile. I'm given breakfast through the syringe, and I feel embarrassed because everyone is staring. I wanted to eat normally, and I told myself that one of these days, I'm going to eat solid food like everyone else. I didn't want anymore food, at all. I just gagged the rest. "I'll try harder tonight mom, I promise!" I say as I grab my backpack and head out the door. "Wait!" Mom says, and I look behind me, and she hugs me tightly. "I love you Maya," she says. "I love you too Mom," I say. I then run out the door for school..

Demi's Pov

I walk back inside. "Demi, I'm sorry that you have to go through all of this," Dallas said. "It must be really hard." I start to tear up, and my mind goes back to the hospital, not knowing if she was going to make it, that was the worst part. "There was so many tabs about Maya and they can never respect my privacy," I said. "I know," mom says. "But she seems to be doing a little bit better." I nod. "Your father would've been so proud.." Mom says, and my heart breaks even more. "I'm sorry, I thought I should say that," Mom says. My dad's in heaven, and he hurt me in so many ways.. I turn on the tv and try to block out all of the bad memories..