Stay Strong, Maya

Demi's Pov

I'm at an autograph signing when I get a phone call from the principal at Maya's school saying that she hit her head and is unconscious. My heart drops, and I apologize to my disappointed fans as I run into the car and drive to her school. I think I might have a heart attack. My little girl.. I hope she is okay. I arrive at school and rush into the nurse's office, and Maya is away. "Oh thank goodness," I say as I rush to her and wrap my arms around her. "I was so worried. How did this happen?" I ask. "I... I just tripped and my head hit the floor," she says, but I have a feeling that she's not being completely honest with me. "She's excused to go home, " the nurse says, "But she needs plenty of rest and ice for her head." "Alright. Let's go home, Maya," I say, and Maya takes my hand, and we get in the car and drive home. I tuck Maya into bed, and she refuses to speak. "Maya please tell me what's been going on," I say quietly. "Nothing, I'm fine!!" she says frustratedly, and she buries her head into her pillow and starts sobbing. "No, you're not fine," I say harshly. Then I say in a kinder tone, "Please tell me, I'm here for you, always." "Why does everyone keep telling me that?" Maya sobs. She looks up at me. Her face is covered with tears. "It's a lie. It's all a lie. People keep leaving me, and I know why... because I'm worthless, fat, and ugly." I shake my head, but she says, "The most popular girl in school says so." And with that, she collapses into my arms sobbing, and my heart breaks. I wrap my arms around her. No, she is not being bullied, how dare someone hurt my daughter and say those things to her. I've been through the same, in the back of my head, i remember that I've been severely bullied, it still haunts me today what those people said to me, I would've rather they beat me, then say those things to me. To spare Maya's innocence, I won't tell her what they said to me. But I will tell her how i got through it.

Maya's Pov

Demi strokes my back, but then she pulls me away from her. "Listen there are words that were said to me when I was younger, that still haunt me today. But that doesn't stop me from being strong and doing the things I love. What that girl told you, is not true, by all means, it's not true, you are beautiful, Maya, and you mean everything to me. It hurts my heart, because I've experienced the same hurt that you're going through. And it hurt me so much that I started to hurt myself. I was so broken and ashamed, but now I'm strong. So are you. So I want you to stay strong, Maya and keep being yourself." And with that being said, she pulls the covers over me and my eyes start to droop. "I'm strong like Demi," I whisper to myself. She is truly an inspiration. But when I fall asleep, the nightmares come.