The competition

Maya's Pov

I'm scared as I'm walking home. I hope Demi's not mad at me. Or hurt, I would die if I hurt her. When I get home, Demi surprises me by giving me a big hug. "I'm so glad you're okay! I was worried about you! I thought you ran away.." She says. I start cry saying "You're not mad?" "I'm not mad, I just need you to be safe," Demi says. I say "Someone signed me up to sing at the school competition." "Oh that's great! You're a wonderful singer, I'll come and watch. When is it?" Demi asks. "Tomorrow night," I say. "What song are you planning to sing?" Demi asks me. "Well, um, I was actually thinking of singing Skyscraper since it's such an inspirational song and has a lot of meaning to it, and it's really beautiful, and it shows how strong you are," I say looking down. When I look up, Demi has the biggest smile on her face. "Oh Maya, that's so sweet and amazing. Thank you!" Demi says, and she hugs me again. I said "Demi don't let me go." "Never," Demi says.

So the next day is the competition, and I warm up my voice, and Riley and Dylan listen. They encourage me, and I wear a white dress that goes all the way to my ankles, and my hair is messy in my face, and I'm hardly wearing any makeup because this is a song that is so simple and so meaningful, my words speak more than my looks. A happy tear runs down my face, for the first time I actually look at myself and am not unhappy... I look from behind the curtains and see Wilmer, Selena and Demi in the audience! Oh my gosh, I can't believe they're actually here! Missy performs first, and she sings amazing, she sings a song from the King and I, and I tell myself I'll never be as good as she. Others perform, and then it's my turn.. I go on, and I freeze at first, but then I look at Demi, and she nods.. And I start singing, the words echoing through the auditorium, and I'm looking at Demi the whole time. She has really been there for me, and by dedicating this performance to her, it proves that I love her and am her daughter.

Skies are crying

I am watching

Catching teardrops in my hands

Only silence, as it's ending, like we never had a chance

Do you have to, make me feel like there's nothing left of me?

You can take everything I have

You can break everything I am

Like I'm made of glass

Like I'm made of paper

Go on and try to tear me down

I will be rising from the ground

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper

As the smoke clears

I awaken, and untangle you from me

Would it make you, feel better to watch me while I bleed?

All my windows, still are broken

But I'm standing on my feet

You can take everything I have

You can break everything I am

Like I'm made of glass

Like I'm made of paper

Go on and try to tear me down

I will be rising from the ground

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper

Go run, run, run

I'm gonna stay right here

Watch you disappear, yeah

Go run, run, run

Yeah it's a long way down

But I am closer to the clouds up here

You can take everything I have

You can break everything I am

Like I'm made of glass

Like I'm made of paper, Ohhh woaah

Go on and try to tear me down

I will be rising from the ground

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper

Like a skyscraper

The crowed cheered and I blushed really hard. Riley, and Dylan ran up to hug me and Mr Matthews congratulated me. Than I ran up to Demi and gave her a big hug, as I started to tear up.