Chp 1 // The Morning

"Wake up!" I heard down the hallway, feeling drowsy. Probably the sleeping pills. My door slammed open and completely woke me up. My heart was racing because the slam was pretty hard. It was my mother rushing me to get ready because it was already 6:40 and we had to apply for my new school. Today was my first day and I felt extremely nervous, yet depressed. My parents and I had moved from New York to California this summer. Don't get me wrong, California is beautiful, but I lived in New York my whole life.. Now I'm here, in California. New school, new friends, new life. Just the thought of it made me tear up..

I had been angry at my parents ever since they decided to move here. I hated it. I hated them. There was obviously nothing I could do about it.

I'm only 16 anyways.

"Reagan, please hurry honey. I don't want you to be late on your first day"

"Whatever.." I said, in a low voice, rolling my eyes. I don't mean to give her attitude, but I was so mad at her.

She looked at me with hurt in her eyes. She hung her head low, & gently closed the door behind her. I honestly didn't feel bad for her.

I walked up to my mirror and and saw my long, wavy, yet mid-curly hair, all over the place. I grabbed my monstrous hair and tightly wrapped it in a tight bun. Just for now. My eyes were low. I looked like I was on drugs, but I just woke up too fast. I open my drawer where I kept my makeup and placed my makeup bag on my counter. Foundation, eyeliner, top eyeliner, and mascara. My daily makeup routine.

I walked over to my closet and made sure I picked something nice for my first day.

I found black long sleeve crop top that reached just right over my belly button and a lightly colored pair of high waisted jeans that looked like the color was fading.

I threw on a large cardigan. My favorite cardigan. My best friends got it for me for my going away present. It was one of those sewed ones. I loved it.

I realized it was already 7:00. Shit. I was going to be late.

I quickly grabbed my phone, headphones, my bag and slipped on my flats, while I was running out of my room.

I ran down stairs and slowed down before I reached the last couple stairs.

I noticed my step-dad helping my little sister with homework, since she gets to school at 8:35.

"Why didn't you finish your homework last night?" I asked her, while grabbing a piece of toast that was on the table.

"I forg--"

"Leave her alone, Reagan" My step-dad cut her off and told me in a annoyed voice.

I rolled my eyes without him noticing.

I never really liked him. I always got a bad energy from him. He's been with my mother for years. I think my attitude changed towards him when I heard him and my mother screaming in their room. I just heard bangs and thumps and my mother yelling. In pain..

"You're mother's waiting for you in the car" He said

I ignored him and walked to the front door.

SLAM.

I slammed the door behind me and walked towards the car.

I open the door to the passenger seat and sat down, closed the door, plopped my headphones in and played my music.

I was a big fan of The Kooks.

I had my headphones at full blast to avoid my mothers lectures and apologizes.