chapter 9 ~ Highschool

After months and years of no contact from Edward, my life seemed to become more confusing and constantly in flux. Days turned into nights, weeks turned into years; before I knew it, I it was almost coming up to my fourteenth birthday. It was nothing new, to know that Edward wouldn't be coming home this year for any of my birthdays or any up and coming Christmas'; it didn't make it any less hard, though. A piece of me was still missing; the most important part...what that was, is still a mystery to me to now.

Would I ever figure it out?

My father constantly worried about my growing up; was I missing out on too much? Was I sheltered too much? I didn't really think so...but he did; so when my father and mother came to me a few weeks before September, my parents sat me down for a conversation, I was not expecting in the least.

"Bella" My mother said gently, her posture slightly stiff in her seat, "Your father and I have been discussing the possibility of you continuing your education in public school; until you graduate high school, of course."

I was speechless. I was going to be able to go public school with other kids my age; make friends, go out to the movies, go shopping and have slumber parties. Of course it was a no brainer! I wanted to be able to go to school.

"Seriously?" I finally managed to say, happily. "I want to go; I want to make friends with other kids." I replied bouncing in my seat, unable to sit still. "Not that I don't like having you as a teacher, momma," I added; I didn't want to seem unappreciative for all the things my mother had taught me over the years, or any of my other family members, that had indeed taught me the many things, I had learned through the course of my childhood education. "Or anyone of else in the family...but I want to make friends and go to school."

"Are you sure, this is what you want, Bella?" My father asked me seriously; he was going to have a hard time letting me go—he had already lost Edward.

I nodded; feeling like a little like a bauble head on the dashboard of a speeding car, on a bumpy dirt road. "I am absolutely positive, I want to go, daddy."

"Alright" He sighed, I'm sure feeling a little disgruntled of the fact, of his baby girl, going to public school; it was very rarely I left the house for more than an hour or two at a time, usually accompanied by a family member; that was until I learned to how to drive when I finally turned sixteen. "If you do not finding it to your liking, you can always stop and continue with your studies, with your mother."

"Okay" I agreed, trying to be serious about things; but I was too keyed up and excited to be serious.

September came quickly; I was so excited for my first day of school, I was practically bouncing around the house, bursting with excitement and anticipation. Emmett thought I was hilarious skipping towards the kitchen; with the smell of bacon and eggs in the air.

Alice and Jasper were already going to high school; I took comfort, in knowing that I had family, close by...just in case. Alice helped me pick out my clothes for the day, nothing too flashy, for my first day. I went with a pair of designer jeans, a royal blue long sleeved button up fitted shirt with a little black cardigan and my favourite pair of silver ballerina flats; Alice had ordered from Italy.

I kissed my father's cheek goodbye before I met Alice and Jasper in the garage; we were driving to school in Edward's Volvo. I couldn't stop fidgeting on the way to school.

"You really are excited," Jasper chuckled glancing at me from the driver's seat; glancing at me in the rear view mirror. "Personally, I think you should have been going to public school, from the beginning; but at least you get to go now."

"Of course, I am!" I squealed; both Alice and Jasper chuckled, shaking their heads. "I get to make friends, and go to the movies, and have slumber parties and go shopping, go out for coffee. I want as many friends as I can handle." I said, as a sudden thought entered my mind, nearly putting an end to my happy mood. "Alice...you know, I will still want to go shopping with you too...right?"