A Stormy Prelude

Hyejeong went to boil the water while Kyung closed the door behind them.

"How did you even have a proper conversation with her when you were younger?" she said irritably, "She's a female version of Jiho."

She flipped the switch and turned just as Kyung walked right up to her, leaning on the counter watching her wash the teacups.

"It's just her personality. It's like a fire," he said with an endearing smile, tucking the strands of hair away from her eye. "But you handled it pretty well, I should say. You're like...ice. You fizzle out the flames with that death stare of yours."

Hyejeong smiled begrudgingly. She sniffed. "Is it just me, or does it smell like the place is drenched with coffee?"

He scratched the back of his head. "Minyoung got a little um, upset just now."

"Upset? She looked like a mess," Hyejeong said scathingly, not regretting her choice of words, "Her mascara was all over the place."

Kyung looked at her with a mild disapproving look.

She took out two teabags and placed each inside the teacup. "No offense, but if she's not afraid to get violent, then I'm not afraid to be liberal with my remarks," she replied, pouring the hot water into the teacups.

Before he could remind her, she set the timer, and she turned to him. He certainly looked undisturbed, but then again, he always did, even when he was inside.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

He blinked. "I'm fine."

She placed her hand on his forearm. "You handled a crying ex-girlfriend, and just punched Jiho till he dropped to the ground...and you say you're fine?"

"It's not what you think," he said quickly, "You heard him. He would have sat there and let me do more if I wasn't pitying him."

Hyejeong noticed his expression. "And by that-?" she asked.

He paused, taking out something from his pocket. Her heart skipped a beat, realizing he trusted her enough to share what truly set him off.

She glanced at him. "Is it about the papers you threw?"

He nodded solemnly. "Remember when you were cleaning out the trailer and dropped the box of old journals on my head?" he asked, and she grinned sheepishly. He lifted the papers, holding them out. "I found this in Minyoung's."

Hyejeong frowned, taking it from him and unfolding them.

Her eyes scanned the words on the faded documents. DNA scan...Shin Minyoung...

Declaration...Father...

Woo Jiho.

Her lips parted.

Father.

Woo Jiho.

She must be hallucinating.

He watched her expression turn dark. "What do you think?"

"Oh, God," she whispered, looking at him. "It wasn't you? It wasn't you this whole time and she knew it?"

He reluctantly nodded.

"You had this with you since you had her journal?"

"I didn't want anyone to know," he told her with a shrug.

She stared at him for the longest time.

"It must have killed you inside," she finally said softly, "Oh, Kyung."