Case Closed

The recording was slightly muffled, but the voice narrating was clear, like an audiobook of a mystery novel that kept its listeners captivated. When it ended, Bomi reached over and clicked Stop, turning to the man in front of her with an enigmatic smile.

"That should do it," she told him, "What do you think?"

He chuckled. "Is it legitimate enough?" he asked.

She rolled her eyes. "You just saw her, Jooheon. How more legitimate do you want it to be?"

The bespectacled man leaned back, giving a dimpled grin as he gathered the photocopied documents and pictures of mother and child. "I have to make sure everything's all covered," he pouted, "I've got some beef with the Shins for as long as I've been in the journalism industry, which is a very long time. Of course I have to make sure my bases are covered."

"Can't you publish it anonymously?"

Jooheon tsked, giving her a frown that made her smile in amusement. "Don't you know who I am?" he muttered, wagging a finger, "I am Lee Jooheon, the nation's only honest reporter! What I give is what you get; nothing more, nothing less. Why should I hide who I am for the sake of who I'm reporting on?"

"I was just suggesting; they could pay to have you fired from your post again."

He kept the items in his briefcase, including the copy of the CD Bomi had just let him listen to. "I already went through social suicide by posting that scoop about Jeong Seok's little affair with his secretary. How long ago was that, seven, eight years?" he mused, smiling as if remembering a fond memory, "What's another secret scandal? Chaebols have it, like, all the time."

Bomi stood up. "I know," she said, taking his coat and helping him into it, "Still, you must be careful."

He pressed his lips together. "You know I'm older than you," he said, narrowing his eyes, "You're worrying more than I am!"

"Age is just a number," she said with a roll of her eyes, "You do things without thinking of the consequences, what's not to worry about?"

He patted her head, relishing her pout. "Isn't that what my whole career is about?" he asked with a laugh, "As a reporter, one must think that nothing in this world is off limits. Journalism is printing what people do not want printed, and in my hands, my dear Bomi, is something that some people do not want printed."

He reached over and pecked on her cheek. "Look forward to the first press on Monday, it's going to be fantastic."

***

"Take care of yourself," Kyung said, buttoning up Sera's coat as he smiled at her, "If your mother loses you in a crowd again, you go to the nearest information counter and tell them your name, alright?"

The girl nodded slowly, and he stroked her blond locks as he grinned, before standing up and meeting her mother's deadpan eyes.

"I won't lose her again," she muttered, as she placed her arms around him in a tight embrace, "You make it sound like I always do."

He let go, shrugging. "I lose people all the time," he began, and they exchanged a loaded gaze. He was about to say more when he heard the announcement over the multitude of voices.

Good afternoon passengers. This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight A768B to Paris. We are now inviting those passengers with small children, and any passengers requiring special assistance, to begin boarding at this time. Please have your boarding pass and identification ready. Regular boarding will begin in approximately ten minutes' time. Thank you.