Chapter Twelve: The Devil's Daughter

"You know, you're really quiet, " Kim said, ignoring the teacher's lecture about Macbeth's message to the audience. "I.. I'm not used to having friends" 'Vienna said, not meeting Kim's gaze. Kim noticed that Vienna had a habit of not making eye-contact with people."Well.... I'm your friend now, aren't I?" Kim said, questioning Vienna. "Why would you want to be friends with me," Vienna said, coldly. 

Vienna didn't mean to be rude, but she wasn't used to having friends, the only friend that only stood by her was the mirror. She couldn't help think, it was all a stupid prank that everyone had planned against her. She could also tell this new girl was different, but she still didn't want to risk getting too attached.

"Why wouldn't I want to be your friend", Kim said, trying to switch the question. "You didn't answer my question", Vienna said, firmly but still smiling at Kim's response.

"Because everyone here seems like an asshole" Kim reasoned. "And I'm not an asshole", Vienna said, raising her eyebrows. "Hmm. I would say that you're more of the low-key asshole type" Kim said, her lips curving in a smirk. Vienna chuckled lowly, her eyes crinkling as she smiled.

 "You should smile more." Kim said, studying the way Vienna's face quickly changed back into a shy, timid expression."Would you like to hang out after school"? Kim said. She winced after speaking, realising that she may have gone too fast. "I can't, I've got to go home early", Vienna said, quickly. Her face changed back to the scared, innocent expression as if she had remembered something.

The teacher dismissed everyone and Kim had never seen someone run out of class so quickly. "Would you like to hang out at lunch, then" Kim mumbled, to herself.

"Even the mute girl, didn't want to be friends with you," Jasmine said, walking past her while cackling with her friends.

"She's not mute and why would anyone want to be near you, with a cackle like that" Kim said, not able to control her tongue. Kim didn't know where the braveness came from, maybe the success of befriending Vienna, made her more excited.

There was a minute silence as Kim witnessed Jasmine grow a shade of red with anger. Jasmine grabbed Kim by the collar, making people still in the classroom; make more noise to increase the tension between the two.

Unfortunately, the teacher had also left the classroom in a hurry after dismissing the class, so there was no one to diffuse the situation.

"Don't test me" Jasmine gritted, out with her teeth. Jasmine looked at the crowd surrounding her with the corner of her eye, and being satisfied with a number of people seeing her drama, she let got of Kim's collar, smiling wickedly. Soon everyone had left the classroom slowly, trying to make sure the argument had fully finished, not wanting to miss a moment.

Kim quickly ran out to the bathroom, trying to control her breathing. She didn't want others to see her in such a weak state. With puffy red eyes and wet tears that spilt uncontrollably down her face, she looked at herself in the mirror and god; she had never hated her own reflection so bad.

Kim felt humiliated that she couldn't find the nerve to fight back, even Sam, who was younger than her would have thrown a punch or two. 

She was a coward that was so scared; she would repeat the same mistake she did when she chose to fight back in her hometown. She decided to wait in the bathroom for at least 20 minutes until meeting up with the others. It would give her time to figure out what to do about Jasmine.

------------------

Emily walked in her third lesson with Ronnie and dropped herself onto her desk, after being in long, tiring lessons with Medina and Amy. They both had History and Emily took that as her chance to fall asleep as she had already studied and learned all the topics, the teacher was going to teach to the class.

Suddenly she heard Ronnie's ringtone and lifted her head to look at Ronnie. Ronnie quickly ran out of class to answer the phone call. Emily had also walked out of class, ignoring the teacher's statement that they couldn't 'walk out of class when they just felt like it'. "What happened", Emily asked, alarmed.

"It's nothing" Ronnie assured, but Emily raised her eyebrows not taking Ronnie's word. "The guy that's renting the house actually wanted us to pay every 2 weeks and not monthly", Ronnie said, running a hand through her hair. "HE WANTS US TO WHAT" Emily exclaimed, wanting to phone the bastard and put him in his place right away.

Emily was so ready to go to his house and use her power of destruction to punish the fool, but calmly breathed as they all needed somewhere to stay.

"We can't tell them about this" Ronnie's said, clasping Emily's hand. "We can't hide things from them" Emily reasoned, knowing the others would be angry that, they went out of their way to hide, important news like this. "No, they'll get worried. Trust me. I don't want to stress them out, especially Medina" Ronnie said, remembering the state, Medina was left in because of stress.

"We've got to take more shifts, don't we," Emily said, sighing. Ronnie nodded, her face written with confusion and worrisome.

Ronnie started to think of the worst possible scenarios. What if Kim found out and resorted to stealing, what if Medina found out and took more jobs, making her stress of school and work build up. What if Sam started street fighting again, to earn money. 'Oh god, Poppy would overwork-", Emily noticed that Ronnie was scared of what could happen and decided to interrupt her thoughts.

"Hey," Emily said, clicking her fingers in Ronnie's face, to get her attention. She clasped her hands around Ronnie's face, making sure her eyes were only focused on her." We'll get through this. Together." Emily said, pulling a frantic Ronnie into her chest while running her hand across her back to soothe her.

It was natural for Ronnie to let her motherly emotions get to her. Not having a mother around, made Ronnie become overprotective to the others. She wanted to make sure the others got a motherly figure even if she was denied by one herself.

With Ronnie's face in Emily's chest, she whispered in the isolated hallways assuring herself that they would all be okay because they've got each other.

--------------------------------------

Milo had been waiting for Leo in the hallway when he had spotted Leo talking to the same devil who cock-blocked his moment with Poppy. He watched his brother become entranced with Sam's smile and raised his eyebrows at Sam, who was snaking her hands down to his brother's ass while hugging him.

He scoffed as he watched his brother, walk away with a giddy smile on his face. 'How was his younger brother getting more action than him' he thought his head.

"Alright. What were you doing with Satan's offspring" Milo demanded, wanting to know why his brother was communicating with Sam.

Leo chuckled at the words Milo used to describe Sam. "What did she do to you, to make you think she's related to the devil? Did she reject you, "Leo said, mocking his brother?

"Trust me. She uses her cuteness to her advantage. She's manipulative and that means, she's trouble" Milo said as if he was predicting the future. "I've talked to her. She seems okay" Leo said.

"Obviously. With her hands on your ass, you'd obviously be whipped" Milo said, rolling his eyes. "Whatever" Leo said, walking away.

"Spoiled milk is still white, Leo" Milo shouted, at his brother about Sam as he had an uneasy feeling about her.