Chapter 13: Preliminaries

“Welcome all to the Miss Magical Miss preliminary competition! This year we have arrived at one of the most elite magical institutes in the world, Bridgestone Academy!”  Madame Portier announced at the entrance of the school.  Shadoe and her friends watched the announcement of the competition on the witchglass in the secret office.  “As many of you know, twenty girls from all over the magical world will compete but only ten will make it through to the final around after the preliminary competition this week. The preliminaries this year consist of fashion, an aptitude test, a flying obstacle course and as usual a private interview with each of our judges.  Joining myself on the panel of judges this year will be last year’s Miss Magical Miss winner Miss Andrea Shacklepot, fashion designer Neal Artenum, professional dueling champion, Hensley Myers, and the famous dragon tamer, Cristoff De Ghent.”  Images of the judges waving appeared on the glass.  “Later tonight the ladies will begin the first preliminary competition of the week with the aptitude test in the auditorium of Bridgestone Academy as well as the private interviews.  Tune in tomorrow for the exciting Flying competition and stylish fashion competition the day after. For now, here are your twenty contestants in this year’s Miss Magical Miss competition!”  Madame Portier disappeared in a cloud of purple smoke that transitioned to small clips of each of the contestants smiling and waving while displaying their profile on the glass.

              Shadoe groaned and dropped her head to the desk.  “This is going to be really bad.” 

              “What are you talking about? This is the best experience of my life! I can’t wait to win!” Rosaline squealed.  Dawn, Ethan, Eugene, and Kai all stared at her in disbelief.  “I mean compete, I can’t wait to compete.”

              “No, you should be excited to win.  You’re definitely the best candidate, Rosaline.” Shadoe stood up.  “I’m just hoping to get eliminated quickly so I don’t have to worry about it anymore.”

              “You can’t give up!” Rosaline shouted so loudly it shook the room.  “I am going to win this competition fair and square! I don’t need you handing me the trophy!” She folded her arms. 

              “She’s right, after all you were hand-selected. You should do your best.”  Dawn advised.

              “I just, I have more important things to think about.  When I joined this competition I was being ordered to act like a normal girl but circumstances have changed.”

              “You still have to hide your identity from him, dropping out of this competition would be suspicious.”  Ethan argued.  “You have to participate.”

              “Yes you have to.” Rosaline stomped her foot.

              “Besides, it’ll be fun watching you prance around on stage talking about world peace and hopeful dreams of the future.” Kai teased.  “Who did you get as an escort anyways?  Let me guess, Lord William Huntsbutt?”  Kai scoffed. 

              “Hey, that’s my cousin you’re talking about.” Ethan snarled.

              “Sorry.”

              “I completely forgot about that part, did you ask anyone Rosaline?” Shadoe asked but then the room fell silent.  Everyone looked between Rosaline and Kai.

              “You didn’t tell her?”  Eugene gulped.

              “Tell me what?” Shadoe looked between them cautiously.

              “Don’t be mad but I sort of asked Kai.” Rosaline shied away from Shadoe as if expecting a blow to the face. Shadoe looked to Kai who seemed to be waiting for some kind of reaction from her.