Chapt. 14

Mia's P.O.V

Waking up, I found myself buried in Bradley's chest. I could have moved, but I chose not to. I cannot tell you how safe, secure, and invulnerable I felt in his arms. I thought back to the first day I met him, how I felt instantly attracted to him. How he took up for me when Alex was drunk. Never in my life have I had someone who has treated me this well. 

I had another "flashback" last night. I know exactly who came into my house and it terrifies me. Alex ruined my life with the things he did to me. Even though I never wanted a baby, once I found out I was pregnant I realized that I could be a mother to that baby, a way better mother than my mother was to me. Alex took that away from me. 

I realized how before the accident, or invasion, or whatever the fuck it was, Bradley and I were going to make it work. Even with everything that had happened. 

But I can't be with Bradley now, it is not fair to him. I'm so broken and he deserves someone so much better than me. I need to convince him of this if he still has feelings for me because I cannot, in good conscious, let him have feelings for me. After all of this, he probably doesn't want to be involved with me in that way anyways.

I gently pushed away from him without waking him up so I could go to the bathroom and take a refreshing shower to try to clear my head. 

 ....

Later, I went downstairs and he was standing there in his work uniform eating his breakfast. 

"We ran out of eggs but I put a bagel in the toaster for you." He said as he gave me a smile and handed me a plate. 

"Thanks" I said, giving him a half smile. 

He tilted his eyebrows, "are you okay? did you sleep alright?" 

"I slept fine but I'm still tired, I guess it's from the lack of sleep from  the past few nights." I lied as I grabbed my bagel and started to put cream cheese on it. 

I knew that he knew I was lying, but he kept quiet and looked out the window. He was worried about me, I could tell. 

He finished his breakfast and was about to leave, "Hey, our job is just down the road so one of the guys are going to pick me up since its on the way. The keys to my truck are on the counter if you need to go anywhere." He said with a smile, but I could tell that he was still concerned. 

"Thanks" I said as I gave him a smile before he walked out of the door. I watched out the window as he jogged to his coworkers truck. 

.....

Later in the afternoon, after I made a list of the things we needed to restock on, like food and some other household items, I grabbed his keys and headed to the store in his truck. 

I was almost finished getting the groceries when I heard a woman walk by the aisle with high heels, which is rare in this town to have shoes like that. Turning my head to look, she passed the end of the aisle before I could get a good look of her. I shook it off, it's just different to see someone like that around here because there seems to be more old fashioned dressers here than back home, people who wear boots and tennis shoes, not pumps or dress shoes. 

But, as I made my way further down the aisle, I heard the high heeled shoes on the hard floor again. Before I could manage to look up, I heard my name. 

"Mia" The familiar, annoying, high pitched voice said, sounding shocked.

I quickly looked up to see Lucy, of all damn people, standing there with her hand on her hip and her big mouth wide open.