Epilogue

A/N: do I really want to end this book already?

Yes, yes I do.

TWO YEARS LATER:

Daniel snuggles into my side, burying his head in the crook of my neck. I feel his lips pucker up and plant small kisses on my skin. His arm wraps around my waist, pulling me closer so there's no space between us.

I blink the tears away, attempting to focus on my wonderful soul mate next to me. It doesn't work, no matter how amazing he makes me feel. Today is just not the day.

I shrug him off of me, standing up and exposing my naked body to the cold air. His throat hums in approval, which would usually motivate me to jump back into his open arms, but has no affect on me today.

Gathering the clothes scattered on the floor, I slip on my shirt and jeans. The bed squeaks as Daniel gets up, covering himself as well. He buckles his belt, the one with his initials embedded in it. I've always teased him about that one, telling him how conceited it made him seem. His only response is a reminder that he's the king, and he has a right to be self-obsessed. It never fails to make me laugh; he's one of the most selfless people I have ever met.

He shuffles around, moving so he's in front of me. I stare into his gorgeous blue orbs, momentarily getting lost in them. He brings up his hand and cups my face, slowly rubbing circles on my cheek. He leaves a trail of sparks to erupt in my body, a temporary distraction from the casket buried six feet under.

"It wasn't your fault." He whispers, speaking those words with generosity. I slide his hand off of me, intertwining them with my own.

"Maybe one day I'll believe that."

***

I stare bleakly out of the car window, watching as the trees pass by. We're getting closer to the graveyard, to where his body lays. The guilt still manages to shove itself down my throat to this day. The first eight months after his death, I completely ignored those feelings. I pretended that he was still alive, just away from me. That he was back home with his family. And then one day, the despair and grief finally hit me.

It shocked Daniel. He didn't know what to do. I sitting there completely fine, and then just became a sniffling mess. But I knew he was waiting for that moment. The moment I stopped pushing down the emotions in an unhealthy way.

I didn't mean for it to happen, but I withdrew myself away from him during that time. I would only get out of the room to work or to eat. I barely saw Jenn or Trissa, only when they would check up on me. He wanted to help me get through this, but I refused it. I didn't want to hear about his death, in fear of realizing that it really did occur.

Samuel died a year after our first mission.

The first mission wasn't a mission, it turned out. It was a test by the vampire goddess, Celesta. Jared's full name was Jared Vera, also known as the chosen one that died, which opened me up to the position. His name was on the tombstone Daniel brought me to when he told me the truth. Celesta brought him back to life just for the test.

The first thing he did was kill a vampire and place him in the coffin, which explains the decaying body smell. And then, as per her instructions, he proceeded to fuck up the human government. He used his chosen power, the one that allows him to take form of whoever he wants, to look like people in The Cabinet, and then used that to kill the VP and president. It still blows my mind to this day how psychotic she is, driven by her self-loathing and jealously of her popular brother.