Chapter seventeen

July 15 ,2015
Daphne
     "Aunt Carol, I'm fine! It's just a broken ankle." I told her as I looked down on my cast.
     "I wasn't asking about you. I meant my car!" She snapped. "How bad is the damage?"
      "You're joking, right?"
      "Of course sweetie. When am I to pick you up?"
      "Um... If possible now?" I grabbed the crutches and began to practice how to walk with it. "The doctor already gave me a cast and I have the crutches. So I'm ready."
      "Okay. I'm leaving now. See you soon."
      "Bye!"
    I walked up and down the halls until I was satisfied that I knew what I was doing. Sitting on the bench by the hospital, I waited for my aunt to pick me up. Time went by slowly as I watched people of various colours,shapes and sizes enter and exit the hospital. One woman broke down crying because she just found out that her daughter has cerebral palsy. After witnessing that ordeal, I realized just how fortunate I am to be me. I'm perfectly healthy and I have a loving family who will always have my back no matter what. So what if I have issues? Everyone has their own (some people have more issues than others). I just need to learn how to cope. That's it. Straightening my crotches, for the fifth time, I continued waiting for my aunt with a new perspective.

*

       "I'm so happy that you called. Heard it on the news you say?" My aunt was talking to Mrs. Hemmings, who heard of my crash on the news. Apparently, the man who hit me was the head of a big shot toilet paper company, and he didn't waste his opportunity of being on television either. He called me a rude ingrate with a potty mouth.  Well there goes Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Oxford and the others.

         "You're sending a pie over? Oh, how nice of you!" My aunt tried her best to sound sophisticated, even though Mrs. Hemmings and her used to be close friends a while back. However, when Luke and I stopped hanging out they did too. It's weird because now they seem as close as strangers. "Okay then. I'm sure Daphne would appreciate your effort of trying to make her happy, because she's been taking it hard. She looks like she's about to kill someone or everyone. Well thanks again! Bye."

       A couple minutes later, I heard a knock on the door. 

      "I'll get it!" My aunt shouted. I was still in the living room with my crotches by my side, and a huge bowl filled with ice cream in my lap. My hair was up in a loose ponytail and I was wearing sweatpants and a Pierce The Veil t-shirt. I didn't care about my appearance, well I never really do, so I couldn't care less if the president was at my door- about to come in - and saw me like this. But my aunt's next words made me jolt in fear. "Oh Luke, come in."

     I instantly put  down the bowl of ice cream and took up my crotches. Maybe I stumble fast enough, I can make it up the stairs and into my room...

       Just as I began to move my aunt stood in the door frame, blocking my exit. Damn it. 

       "Daphne! What are you doing?" She stood with her hand on her hips. "You're supposed to call me when you want to get up. I know how hard it is for you to use the crotches. Especially, since you're not used to it." Oh God. Here comes the rant.

        I love my aunt but sometimes she gets a bit too much for me to handle. She's like Leafy when she begins to rant. And when she rants, I get headaches. In the accident, I had hit my head on something in the car, so I already had a headache to begin with. I held my head as a sharp pain shot through it.

       "Daphne are you alright?" She asked. "Sit." I noticed Luke standing behind her nervously biting his lip.

       "I'm fine. See?" I smiled while putting two thumbs up and tried to ignore the pain.