Welcome to London

The large brick buildings towered over the black taxi as it passed through the high metal fences, the green lawn was perfectly cut, not a stray clipping anywhere in sight. Grey gravelled driveways and walkways separated sections of the lawn, creating perfect rectangles of equal sizes out the front of the school. Tall trees, also perfectly cut and sculpted, lined the entryway to the large brick arch that lead into the centre of the school. I never realised how large this place was, it was nothing compared to the small orphanage in France... I felt tears begin to form within my eyes as I remembered Sister Grace and the other children. They were so sad, yet so happy that I was going somewhere to make a life for myself. They all worked so hard... All the children, the Sisters, Sister Rosemary especially came up with the money to get me here.. How she managed, I've no idea.

The taxi slowed to a stop, the driver got out, walked around to my side and opened my door. Such a gentleman.

"Here you are then miss."

"Merci monsieur." (thank you sir)

I stepped out of the car and looked around me. The grounds were deserted, not a sound erupted except for the crunch of pebbles under the taxi drivers and my own feet. He opened the trunk and pulled out my large suitcase, I slung my shoulder bag onto my shoulder and pulled out my wallet. I gave him the amount required and a one pound tip.

"Thank you miss. Enjoy your stay."

With that, the taxi left, leaving me alone in a strange place that was much larger than I was use to.

I walked along the path and through the arch way, the pebbles crunching under my feet and suitcase. My eyes and mouth were wide open, staring at the towering buildings that seemed to reach for the atmosphere, going on forever. I reached the centre of the courtyard when I realised that I had no idea where I was going. Just my luck, a loud bell echoed through the school grounds, a minute later, a swarm of students flooded into the courtyard. Uneasiness crept through me as they all started staring at me and whispering to each other. Maybe it's just cause I'm obviously new, but I'm not that different when it comes to appearance. I have fair skin, dark brunette hair, dark brown eyes that are kinda round, full lips and a heart shaped face with matching small nose and chin. I didn't like the attention, so I walked away, pulling my suitcase behind me. I continued through another arch way, I looked up to see how high up it was, stupid I know. It felt even more stupid when I walked straight into someone.

"Je suis tellement désolé." (I'm so sorry)

"I beg your pardon?" Said a deep voice. I looked in the direction I should've been facing to see a fair skinned, dark haired boy with the bluest eyes I had ever seen.

"I apologise. I'm not use to speaking English all the time."

He smiled a white toothed, charming smile that girls would die for.

"It's all good. Where are you headed?"

"Um. The, uh, I'm not sure how you pronounce it."

"How do you say it?"

"Fonction." (office)

"Function?"

"No. Ah, I suppose it's where the school secretary is?"

"Oh, you mean the office."

"Oui. That's it." (yes)

He turned around and pointed ahead of us, "See that building there? That one with the white doors?"

"Oui." (yes)

"That's the place you're looking for."

"Ok, merci." (thank you)

"No problem."

He smiled that charming grin once more and walked away. That was a guy who was hot and he knew it. I continued to walk in the direction he pointed, and sure enough, there was the building with the white doors.

..................

It's been a slow first week. No new friends but plenty of letters from my old ones. The little ones sent me drawings while the Sister's wrote the letters, most of them written by Sister Grace, I could recognise her swirly script a mile way. Everyone seemed to be ok, they all missed me but were still happy for me. The neighbours from around the orphanage continued to send me the little amount of money they could afford to give away, even though I told them not to, God bless them.

I sat on a wooden bench, a one of many that were spread throughout the school grounds. I continued to read the letters the orphanage sent me, I looked at the drawings the little ones drew for me, it all brought tears to my eyes, they always did. A cold chill passed through my bones, almost freezing the happiness those letters and drawings gave me. Carefully folded them in half and slid them into my bag, I stood up and began walking in the direction of my dormitory.