Chapter Five

"You need help?"

"Chip?"

"No, Beckett."

I wrapped the last bandage into place and pulled my coat on.

"No, I think I'm okay."

"You know, you're a damn lucky woman. Most people would have been seriously injured in that. You came out with minor scratches."

"Well, I would certainly hope that the building is okay. I'm a very muscular woman as well."

"They said it would be fine, and they also said they would fix it at a reduced cost. Just for you."

Beckett winked at me and I rolled my eyes. It never ceased to amaze me, what humans would do in gratitude. I suppose it was convenient at times, but it baffled me to no end.

"Tell them at least to have some coffee."

"Sure, sure."

Beckett walked away and I sighed quietly. It still blew my mind, the level to which this incident had terrified me. I didn't know which was worse, the fact that it scared me so much or the fact that I was so vulnerable here.

"Clover, are you okay?"

"Just fine."

"Are you sure?"

I opened the door and stared at him.

"Yes."

Then I felt bad. There were dark circles under his eyes and he looked like he hasn't slept last night. I'm sure he hadn't slept much.

"Chip, how long did you stay up?"

"Not that long."

"Were you worrying about me again?"

"Maybe."

"How much sleep did you get?"

He mumbled something and shuffled his feet.

"I thought so. Take the day off."

I expected his reaction. His head snapped up, and his eyes widened.

"I can't. There's too much work to do."

"Beckett will take over. It's fine."

I held his defiant stare until finally his shoulders slumped and he blew out a long exhausted breath.

"Sure. Sure. But if you need something wake me up."

With a chuckle, I nodded.

"I'll do that."

When I got down to the clinic Beckett handed me a mug of coffee.

"Where's Chip?"

I leaned back against the counter and took a sip.

"I gave him a day off. Looked like he had been up the entire night."

"Smart. I can take over his work for today."

"I was hoping you could. Thanks."

As he left to go check up on the patients, I knocked back the last drops of my coffee. It hasn't been long before I suddenly felt an odd sensation at the point between my shoulder blades, almost as if someone was pressing something against it.

"Don't turn around. Keep your hands up."

The snarl was unmistakeable.

"Connor. How nice to see you again."