Partners

Jack sighed and tilted his head back to admire the stains on the ceiling. He hated English. The class was extremely boring. To make it worse, the book they were reading was all about soulmates. Jack absolutely hated it. He stared at the white board, trying to decide whether or not he should just skip then people began to file in and take their seats. Jack turned his attention to the door and watched as the students entered. He didn't pay attention to who was in his classes most of the time. He didn't really care. He wasn't about to start making friends, so why should he. As he watched the faces come through the door, he was surprised when he recognized one of them. It was the boy from the library. What was his name? Mark? Jack watched as Mark made his way over to his seat. Mark noticed Jack staring. He looked over and gave Jack an awkward smile. Jack tried to frown.He didn't know if he succeeded. He was still floored by the fact that they shared English class. He tried to recall ever seeing him here before but couldn't. He didn't know what he was going to do. What if Mark tried to talk to him again? He didn't want that.. well not really. Jack tried to shake the thought of being friends. Even if Jack could be nice to Mark long enough not to scare him off, surely the other kids would do something to ruin it. Besides, Jack still refused to talk. Some cute boy wasn't going to change that. 'Cute boy?'

The bell snapped Jack out of his thoughts. The teacher went right into a long lecture. Jack rested his head on his hand and tried not to think about Mark or english. He tried to focus on the newest videos games, what movies were coming out, anything but here. At some point he actually paid attention to the teachers lecture. He didn't know what she was talking about, since he hadn't read the book. She was droning on about some sort of project. Wait, project!?

"... Now everyone find a partner. I'm feeling particularly nice today, so you can choose your own partner." She finished. Jack frowned. Great another project he'd have to do all by himself. He'd probably fail, like always. For some reason, he looked over at Mark. There were about three girls already asking to be his partner and two boys. Jack felt a little disheartened at the sight. He wanted to go over there and ask Mark to be his partner too? Jack took a deep breath. He'd never felt this way. Maybe it was because mark was the only one that truly tried to speak to him. Maybe he could actually like mark. No he couldn't have. He hated people. Jack felt alittle panicked at all these new emotions. What was this guy doing to him!?

"Hey." Once more, Jack's thoughts were interrupted, this time by a voice. Jack looked up and came face to face with the boy who had been plaguing his thoughts. A hot feeling crept up into his neck.

"So I noticed you don't have a partner. would you like to be my partner?" Mark asked. He gave a small smile. Jack frowned. Why would he want to be this guy's partner? Jack turned away from Mark. Then he shrugged and nodded. He didn't know why he was saying yes. He didn't know why he had an urge to spend time with this guy. He didn't know why he felt like this. He just hoped that by hanging out with Mark, it would get it out of his system. Mark smiled widely.

"Awesome! So do you wanna work on it at my house or yours?" Mark smiled. Jack frowned. This guy was adorable when he smiled. But Jack didn't want to bring him to his house. He didn't want to get his ma's hopes up. He pulled out a piece of paper from his notebook and wrote down what Mark needed to know. He folded the paper then shoved the note over to Mark right as the bell rang. He grabbed his stuff and nearly ran out of the classroom.

He skipped his next class, going to the park instead. He found the spot he went to when he wanted time to himself. It was a small gazebo, hidden away from the rest of the park. He'd found it by accident one time when he was walking home from school. It was hidden behind trees. It was almost invisible. No one knew about it. Jack sat and rested up against one of the old beams. The gazebo creaked under his weight. Every once in a while Jack wished the thing would fall down and crush him. This wasn't one of those time. Some part of him wanted that a little. But another part of him wanted to be with some one. He ran his hand through his hair. He knew he was lonely, but he'd always been content with that. Was it this Mark guy? Had his kindness really affected Jack that much? He looked around at the gazebo. It had been a place of sanctuary for him since he'd come to America. But now, it just reminded him of how lonely he was. He sighed. He hoped these feeling would go away soon. He didn't like them.

Mark stared at the paper Jack had given to him. He was in math at the moment. He hadn't looked at what Jack had written on it yet. He was to happy about the fact Jack had agreed to be his partner for the English project. He almost did a little dance when Jack said yes. Thankfully he'd been able to contain himself. That's why he was a little anxious to look at the note. He was afraid the note would say it was all a prank. Mark didn't want to believe Jack would do something like that, but then again Mark didn't know much about Jack. He took a deep breath. Jack wouldn't do that. Mark smiled and opened the note.

'We'll work at your house. If you need to contact me, here's my number. Only for emergencies.

xxx-xxx-xxxx'

Mark bit his lip to keep himself from squealing. He was so happy. He'd gotten Jack's number. He was going to work on a project with him. They were going to be friends.