Chapter 24: Tension, and Nothing Less

The blue colored-hair teenage girl trailed closely behind her boyfriend in despair. Her head was low and her eyes were positioned to her feet. There were absolute silences on the way back to the Sakamaki's manor, ever since Kanato's father arrived, she curiously pondered on if his appearance was unfortunate. After all, Kanato's tone of voice was particularly hostile. Izumi considered asking why he disliked his father. However, she didn't want him get mad at her, especially since they were getting along so well lately.

Kanato came to a halt in front of the entrances that led inside the castle-like mansion that was his home. He then turned on his heel to face his girlfriend and lifted her face up, while cradling her jaw. Her gentle grey eyes bored until his weary light-purple ones that had faded bags under the eyelids. He messaged her chin with his fingers and released a restless sigh.

"If you got something to say then stay it Izumi...I detest the gloomy aura your body is giving away."

"How...how can you tell?" She asked him.

"Simple, you're not particularly a hard girl to read," he informed. "Now grace me with your wisdom."

She downcast her eyes with a light pink hue covering her cheeks. "I was wondering why you haven't been cheerful since we left the graveyard."

He cocked his head, while his hand fell to his side. "Izumi... let's get real. This wouldn't have something to do with my father's appearance, does it?

She carefully nodded. "Your mood changed... I don't like seeing you like this, because someone else makes you uncomfortable. It's not fair, whatever you went through, that made you greet him so strongly. There must be a reason why you loathe him so much."

Kanato smiled a sad smile as he looked away. "Thanks for your consideration. But... I'm not that mad as you think I am. It's you that I'm mostly worried about."

"Me?" She said under her breath with her eyes shifting in different directions. "Why would you be worried about me?"

The purple-hair vampire gazed back at her. "Because...my father is looking for a suitable bride for each of his sons," he declared. "If you or any of the other girls doesn't fit his preference, he'll forcefully get rid of you without any remorse or getting his hands dirty."

Izumi's eyes widen, there was so many emotions she was going through at that moment. "That's not fair! What's gives him the right to judge others? He can't choose who we fall in love with and who we want to marry."

"Actually...he does have the right," Kanato breathed out. "I don't know if you know this, but...my father is the vampire king."

She popped her hand over her mouth and snorted with laugher. Kanato's eyes lit up in disbelief and he placed both his hands on her shoulders to hold her still. "Izumi, is there something funny that I should know about?" He narrowed his eyes at her. "Perhaps...you didn't pass gas just now, did you?"

Izumi gaped at him like a fish. "Of course I didn't fart! I'm a lady, and a lady does not relieve herself in public, especially in front of their boyfriend!"

He tapped his finger on his chin with his eyes looking up. "Interesting...I can't say the same for myself. But if that what helps you sleep at night, then so be it."

"Kanato, that's not the reason I was laughing! I was laughing because you said that your father was the vampire king!"

The purple-eyed boy knitted his eyebrows together. "Well it's true...don't you know anything about your own kind? Haven't you read any books or any research on history?"

"Now that you say that, he did look familiar, but you already told me that he has more than one identity. I generally never saw vampire shapeshifter before," she mused.