Chapter 14-Phil's POV

~many months later~

“Dan. Dan! Shut up! I’m getting on the plane.” He won’t stop going on about his wedding. I get to be the best man, but I’m going to miss my flight if he doesn’t let me leave. “DAN I HAVE TO GO.” He still doesn’t listen, so I sigh, hanging up the phone.

“Now boarding to Orlando.” I grab my luggage and head to the plane.

Once I sit down in my seat, I see that the person next to me is a brunette reading a book. She reaches out her hand, placing a finger in her book. “Hi, I’m Ashley.”

“Phil.” I shake her hand. The stewardess comes down the aisle, warning everyone about their electronics. I pull out my phone, staring at the lock screen for a moment. A small tear forms in my eye, and I turn the thing off. “So...Ashley...” I say it tenderly, the name tasting like bile in my mouth. “Have you been to America before?” She places her book in her bag. My Ashley would have been furious if I interrupted her reading, but she doesn’t seem to mind.

“No, I haven’t. I’m actually visiting one of my friends. What about you?” She has a sweet smile, but it seems forced.

“Actually...I, um...” I swallow. “I lived in America for a few months. And I’ve been there plenty of times other than that. It’s a pretty nice place. I had to move back to the UK though last year. It’s complicated, but I had to. I’m actually going back for my old roommate's wedding.” The plane starts to rise, and I can feel myself getting a bit sick. My stomach lurches, and I groan. “you know...Ugh...you’d think I’d be used to this by now.”

“Just keep talking. It helps keep your mind off the pain.” For the rest of the plane ride, I get to talk to the girl next to me, eventually forgetting her name and the person who goes along with it.

“Well it was nice meeting you, Phil.”

“You too, Ashley.” As soon as I say her name, I remember everything. And I have to see her tomorrow. Ugh. The entire time until I’m out of the airport, I feel like I’m in a dream. Suddenly it just all becomes real. I haven’t talked to Ashley for over a year. What am I going to say? Well at least I don’t have to hide my scars from her anymore. She doesn’t care about me.

“PHILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!” Dan runs to me, throwing me into a hug.

“Fyi he likes vagina.” Natalie walks over, prying Dan off of me and giving me a hug as well. “Hey Phil. Long time no see.”

I run my fingers through my hair nervously. “Yeah. Sorry. Can we just go now? I’m tired.” I just really want to get my mind off of everything. Once Ashley broke up with me and Dan went back to America, he and Natalie bought an apartment together. Ashley got the house, since Dan didn’t like it. I’ve only been there once, but it was really nice, from what I remember. I’ll have to sleep on the couch, but I don’t mind. I’d rather that than a hotel.

Once we get inside, Dan and Natalie head to their room and I plop on the couch. My mind wants to cry, thinking about how the house is down the street from here. Where I used to live. Where I protected her. Where I was finally happy. I feel like crying, but my eyes refuse. Instead, I fall asleep.

“PHIL WAKE UP. IT’S THE DAY. AHHHHHH.” Dan’s face is inches from mine, shaking me awake violently. “Natalie’s gone with...” he cuts himself off. Like I don’t know who he’s talking about. “But we only have 8 few hours! Come on lets go!” I groan, pulling myself off of the couch.

As Dan gets me ready and fangirls over his soon-to-be wife, I can’t help but dread the wedding. I’m happy...no, ecstatic...for Dan, but I can’t help but worry. What about Ashley? I still love her, and know it’s not her fault. Any of this. But I refused to let myself crawl back to her and have something terrible happen to her. So I kept her face on my phone and went on with my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Congratulations you two!” Ashley comes running over to Natalie and Dan, group hugging them. Over their shoulders, she glares at me with pure hatred, plastering on a fake smile again when she pulls away. This isn’t her. I feel as if my heart has just been thrown into a woodchipper.

“Thank you! You’re next though, don’t forget!” Natalie teases. “oh, gotta go!” She drags Dan away with her, mingling.

I am suddenly interested in the conversation. “You’re getting married?” I can actually feel the knives in my chest. “To who?”

“Aaron” She flings her ring finger out, flashing an engagement ring.

“You mean the rapist?” I retort.

“Shut up you idiot! You don’t know him!” She scoffs. “It wasn’t his fault. He was just in a bad point in his life. You can’t blame him. He loves me, really.”

“Speak of the devil,” I mutter, and Aaron walks over.

“Hey Ashley.” He kisses her passionately. It’s not real, I can tell. It’s too rough to be anything besides sexual desire. “Oh, hi. You must be Phil. Nice to meet you. Sorry I stole your girl.” She kisses him this time, on the cheek, as he extends his hand.

“I can’t say I feel the same way.” I reject the shake.

“Well, then.”

Suddenly I get an idea. This entire thing is making me sick. “I haven’t seen you for over a year, Ashley. Do you mind if I take you out tomorrow? Not on a date. As friends. Just to catch up on things. That is, if Aaron lets you.” I say the last part bitterly.

“Yeah, sure. Why not?”

I turn to her captor. “I’ll pick her up at noon. You can stay home.”

Aaron sneers at me, then turns to Ashley. “Have fun, bitch.” He presses his lips to hers again, and it looks painful. yet Ashley smiles like a child on Christmas morning. “Come on, let’s go hang out with someone who’s NOT a fag.” Ashley laughs.

The whole thing is too much. I run to the bathroom, opening the stall and kneeling on the floor. So much for my lunch.