Chapter 9

Alex's POV

I woke up a little later on the sofa. I slightly remembered falling asleep on Liam's lap... After the big fight.

I got up and walked into the kitchen. Liam sat there sipping coffee and staring off into space.

"Where is everybody?" I asked.

He looked at me and smiled slightly. "Still want to talk to them? Upstairs in their rooms."

I smiled at him. "Thanks Liam. Umm... For last night too."

"It's no problem love. And it was more like yesterday morning. You slept a while."

I just smiled. I went upstairs and went to Boobear's room first... Where are these nicknames coming from?

I knocked on his door. When he didn't answer after a few knocks, I slowly opened it. I looked around to see if I could come in, and I saw his foot sticking out from the end of his bed on the floor.

I chuckled. "Lou? What are you doing?"

When he didn't answer, I walked over to where he lay. I saw something then that I would never get out of my head.

"OH MY GOSH LOU!" I said while running to kneel by him. A couple seconds later, Harry ran in. Zayn and Niall closely followed him, Liam rushing up behind them all.

Harry, seeing his best friend there on the floor, pulled out his phone and dialed 999.

While he gave them the information, I looked down at the boy by my knees, reaching to gently touch my fingers against his forehead. I pulled my fingers away and looked at the blood covering them.

Suddenly, I realized that I had to go. The police couldn't see me here. I readied myself to get up when I realized that I also couldn't leave Lou.

At that thought, I heard the sirens. I grabbed Louis' hand, readying myself for what was to come. The boys, thinking of the fact that I would get caught, tried to pull me away.

"I'm tired of running." I whispered, a single tear rolling down my face.

I saw the blue and red lights through the window. I heard the police siren and I gripped Louis' hand tighter.

I heard a car door slam and flinched. My heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to beat right out of my chest.

Thirty seconds later, two police officers ran through the door. They saw Louis and started to walk toward him, but one of the officers stopped and pulled out his gun, the other following suit. They both pointed them at me.

"Step away from her." Officer #1 said. I watched as Niall, Liam, Zayn, and Harry didn't move.

"Just go." I whispered. "It's easier this way."

They looked at me with pity-filled eyes and stayed there.

"I don't need your pity!" I yelled. They looked at each other and walked behind the officers who still had their guns pointed at me.

"Now come away from the man." Officer #2 said with an American accent. I squeezed Lou's hand one more time before dropping it. I put my hands up and slowly walked toward the officer.

When I got close to him, he put his gun away and grabbed my hands, putting them behind my back and cuffing them together.

"You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defense if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence." The police told me my rights. (That's pretty much the same as the Miranda Rights in America.)

As he said that to me, I paid no attention, focusing more on the EMTs that had just arrived and were working on Lou.

The second officer grabbed my arm and led me down the stairs, out the door, and into the police car, bending my neck down to put me in the backseat.

The officer closed the door and went back to the house for investigation.

Waiting for the officer to come back, I looked out the window. The EMTs carried the stretcher down and moved Louis to one of the little bed things. I could see that he was awake now, he was trying to sit up.

He suddenly turned his head and looked at the police car. When his eyes met mine through the tinted windows, I saw him frown. He tore his arm away from the lady checking his blood pressure and slid off the bed. Despite their obvious protests, he tried to run toward the car.

After taking a couple steps, he fell on his knees, gripping his head in his hands. As the EMTs ran to him, I put my forehead on the car window and let my tears drip into my lap.

I hope he was okay.

When the police officer got in the car and started to drive, I thought.

Maybe jail was a better place for me. I couldn't hurt the people I loved there.