Two

I haven't been myself since Avia's death. I've locked myself in my room, crying every day. Only exiting to eat my meals. Three times a day I see my family. I never say anything and I know they're worried about me, but I can't be myself. I've tried, but it always reminds me of my memories with Avia.

I was lying in my bed going through a photo album that Avia and I made a few years ago. It was filled with pictures of us and drawings that we had made together and it made me miss her more than ever. Buried in the book, I hear a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" I ask, sounding meaner than I meant it to be.
Before I get an answer, I see Brock's small head peek through the crack in the door.
"Hey Brocko," I said, a bit sweeter than before.
"Hi Emmi," Brock responds.
He climbed up onto my bed and sat next to me. I slid the book under my pillow as he snuggled into my lap.
"What's up?" I asked him. He had never done this before and I was scared something was wrong.
"I..." He stuttered, "I miss Avia."
He was starting to tear up.
"I do too buddy," I whispered stroking his hair, "I do too."
"Why haven't you been out?" He asked me.
I didn't know how to answer. I'll admit it, I've been depressed, but how do I explain this to my 6 year old brother?
"I've been sad," I said sweetly.
"Why?" Brock questioned, his innocent voice filling the room.
"Because I lost my only sister." I answered, "And I miss her. A lot."
"We all do Emmi. We can help you. Please come out a play, I miss you" he said.
Wow.... Brock is way more mature that I thought he was.

He jumped off of the bed and dragged me out to the family room. Mom and dad were surprised to see that Brock had gotten me out of my cave. They've been trying forever to get me out of there and have never succeeded.

"Emmi?" Mom said, excited and surprised.

I smiled at mom and started playing Legos with Brock and Daxton on the floor and I realized that I had just missed over a month with my family. I was the only one in our family that wasn't making an effort to be happy. I was shutting myself out from the world, not wanting to face reality.

"Mom?" I asked, going to the kitchen where she was cooking dinner.
"Yes sweetie?" Mom said.
"Can I talk to you and dad. In your room?" I responded.
Mom nodded her head in agreement and we spent about twenty minutes in my parents room talking about what happened and crying and laughing the whole way through.

My life was beginning to normalize again and it was all thanks to my little brother. He made me realize that even though my sister is gone, I need to cherish the moments I have with my other family members. And I remembered what Avia said. I need to be there for our new baby sister. I can't shut everyone out again.

--
Author's Note:
Sorry this chapter isn't the best. I didn't really know what to write about. Anyway, two updates in one day! Yay! I hope you're liking the book! Please leave some feedback in the comments. -L