Pride is For Children and Also Lions

I don't come across a town until well after the rain has really started pouring down. It's very late, and this is a small town, by the looks of it. I can't even read the sign at the entrance of the town because the rain is so thick.

I walk forward and look for some sort of guiding light. The town is pretty tiny and I see almost no buildings, but there's at least many more then I've seen in many hours.

I see blissful civilization a bit far away in the form of a diner. I hope it's an all-night diner, but the fact that it's lighting up, with a blinking 'open' sign in the window is a good signal.

I make a slow stride over to the diner, wanting nothing more than to be warm or have something warm to drink. I hit myself because I remember that I have no money.

This is just great.

I get there in a few minutes, but it takes a very long time because I'm so exhausted. My arm is killing me, my feet are too, and my heart is screaming out for Gerard. Also I'm freezing from the rain, and I don't have a shirt or shoes. It looks like I had a really bad day out at the beach, considering my attire.

The minute I step into the small restaurant I'm greeted with a welcoming feeling of warm air. It smells like coffee and the heat is absolutely amazing. There's also a dripping sound and I realize that that's me.

I look up and around to see who else is here. There's a man sitting at the far end of the diner staring at me and a woman by the counter who looks extremely surprised at my entrance.

She's an older woman, late forties to early fifties. Kind-faced with laugh lines, and a little on the heavy side. She's leaning against the counter when she looks up to me.

I must look a wreck. Dripping everywhere, tired, wounded. I'm glad I don't have to see myself right now.

"Good gracious, dear. What happened to you?" the woman asks, and her slouch turns into a quick vigilant one.

"Hm? Oh, right, yeah. Got mugged a little ways down the road," I say carelessly, and I shake my head like a dog to make some of the water go away.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" she asks and walks over to me.

"Nah fine. Just took my stuff. Didn't hurt me too much," I say.

"Oh dear, you've been shot!" She says, and I look down.

I shrug, "No that's weeks old."

"Oh god, do you need something? I'll get you something warm, hold on dear," she says, but I gesture for her not to worry.

"No, thanks. I just needed some warmth. I don't have any money anyway," I say.

"Nonsense, I'll get you a coffee," she says and then points to the nearest booth. I think she's telling me to sit down, and I am way too tired to refuse.

I collapse onto the booth, but I let my legs hang off the side so that I'm not actually sitting at the table.

"Please, its fine, I don't need... I just wanted to rest a minute."

She chides, "Sorry dear, but you need something warm. You'll catch the flu in your state."

She's definitely not wrong about that. I always get sick, it's a little insane. I almost forgot that, and it makes me regret my near future of sneezing and watery eyes.

The lady comes back a moment later with a frayed white mug that's steaming tantalizingly. I honestly want to say no to it, but I shiver a second later and more water drips from my body, so she puts it down at the table beside me.