01. unlucky coincidence

Riley and I decided to have lunch at Topanga's

Riley and I decided to have lunch at Topanga's. I needed to tell her about my horrible lie and what went on before she arrived. I took a seat into one of the booths and she sat across from me. We bought two smoothies and a slice of cake we could share. Riley arrived a few minutes after the whole boyfriend thing. She made things less awkward and Juliet seemed to love Riley. I understood. I wasn't who she had to try to impress. Josh's niece, who he loved and cared for, was really the reason they even came over to the house.

"You've been quiet since Josh and Juliet left. Did something happen while I was gone? Did she say something to you? If she did you gotta tell me. I knew there was something fishy about her. She's jus-" I used my hand to cover up Riley's mouth as she kept on rambling.

"Okay. I didn't say yes to any of those questions and yet you kept on asking more. Juliet didn't do anything. It's just.." I brought my hand down and sighed. "I might've said something."

Riley raised an eyebrow with a confused expression on her face. I chewed on my bottom lip avoiding her eyes.

"Maya. What did you say?"

"I might've.. Maybe.. Suggested that I had a boyfriend and I was bringing him to the wedding." I closed both eyes then opened one looking at her expression.

"Who!" She practically yelped before lowering her voice. "Who?"

"Lucas." I mumbled under my breath which almost made her spill her drink.

"At least you didn't say Farkle." She chuckled as she sat back in her seat.

"Why because you're in love with him?" I teased.

"I'm not in love! I just really enjoy his company." She smirked which caused me to groan.

"I don't need to the know the details about you and Farkle. Especially what you two do when he comes over at midnight. Yeah you're pretty loud." I laughed as I threw my head back.

"Hush! Alright, so what are you gonna do about Lucas. Are you gonna ask him to the wedding? It might be kinda hard since he does attend college in Texas." Riley was right. He was in school just like we are. He has a whole different life in college. I knew I should've kept better contact with him, but.. I have no excuse. Besides being a shitty friend to him. Then again he also didn't call or text.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do. I can't believe I even said that he was my boyfriend, but Juliet was so.. Ugh. Like Josh being with me was a mistake and she was his true soulmate." I admitted.

"What does it matter? I thought you were over Josh. It doesn't matter what Juliet thinks. She is just acting like your normal bride who has her fiancés ex coming to their wedding. I'm sure Josh doesn't care."

"That's what you think. He looked so smug as I talked about Lucas. As if he knew I was lying. I can't handle being there as the pathetic ex girlfriend." I groaned as I placed my head against the table.

"As you talk about who?" A familiar deep voice chuckled.

I froze. It wasn't Riley. It couldn't be him. I stayed there for a moment before finally gaining enough courage to look up. I turned my head to look up at the blonde male. He had the same sly smile on his lips that I remember looking at daily in highschool.

"Ranger Rick. What are you doing here?" I practically squeaked but knew I couldn't let him show how nervous I was.

"Zay actually invited me to come with him while he drove up here to visit Isadora. We are both almost done with college, so we took a small break off." He explained as he sat next to me.

"I didn't know Isadora and Zay actually got together." Riley chuckled as she took a sip of her drink.

"Yeah. He called Farkle asking if it was cool, cause the two used to date and he didn't wanna overstep anything. He really does like her." Lucas rubbed the back of neck as he talked about his friends relationship.

"What about you do you have a girlfriend?" I teased.

"Oh yes totally." He winked at me before laughing.

"Aw. You found someone who makes your little cow boy heart beat. How lucky she is." I rolled my eyes with a smirk on my lips.

"So I heard you talking about me when I came in." Lucas looked between Riley and I.

"Um. I totally forgot I got to go pick up my dry cleaning! I'll see you back at the house." She rushed as she got up and winked as she left.

"You don't even have dry cleaning!" I scoffed as Lucas moved from next to me to across from me.

"So.."

"Alright. I'm gonna tell you something and I don't want you to be weirded out. It was an accident I didn't mean for it to happen it just kinda came out." I sighed as I looked down at my hands.

"Why are you so nervous? You've never been nervous around me." He smiled as he cupped my chin so I could look up at him.

"Alright, Romeo." I pushed his hand away. "ItoldJoshthatyouweremyboyfriendandthatyourmydatetohis wedding."

"Okay first off breathe." He laughed at my rambling.

I took a small breath in response.

"So I'm your boyfriend, huh?" He teased which made my blood boil.

"You're about to become something." I growled as I pulled him by his collar closer to me.

"You need me." He smiled looking into my eyes.

"I don't need you." I huffed as I pushed him down to his seat.

"So you're just gonna show up to Josh's wedding with another Lucas?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'll just say you got into a tragic mishap that means you won't be able to walk for a week and that week falls on his wedding." I joked as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Can I have some?" He asked as he took the fork and I nodded. "As long as you think it'll be okay."

"Are you saying you would be my pretend boyfriend?" I raised my eyebrows as Lucas took a bite of the cake.

"Why not? If it makes you happy then I'm down."

"Really?" I grinned take a bit of the cake for myself. "Alright well Josh's wedding is in a month or so and since Riley is one of Juliet's bridesmaids she's gonna drag me along to all their wedding things. I just need you to show a few times and maybe a hug here and there. Maybe put your arm around me. You get a free ticket to the wedding."

"Sounds great." He smiled as he brought himself closer to me. "I think you just want me to kiss you."

"Pick me up tomorrow at 6, huckleberry." I smirked before stealing the last piece of cake on the plate and grabbing my coat.