Chapter Twenty-Four

"And my first thought was: I am so fired..."

I smirk, pinching the bridge of my nose as Jared's tale yields a chorus of guffaws and sympathetic snorts. His arms are dragging dramatically though the air, shit-eating grin smeared on his face as he narrates.

"Dude," Tahmoh grins. "It was on the list of things you weren't supposed talk about in the interview. Can't go spoiling shit like that."

Jared heats up baked beans in a saucepan while the burgers cook, dripping grease onto the flames. They leap up to sear the undersides while Osric liberally spritzes cooking spray onto a fire pan.

"Pfft, who reads that shit anyway?"

"I do, because I'm a good actor."

"Aww, come on. You ruined more takes than any of us and you were only-"

"Actually, that would be Misha."

"Hey," I grind out defensively. Why am I always the one getting the brunt of the abuse? "You try keeping a straight face while playing Castiel."

"Guy does have a rod up his ass," Osric supplies wryly. "Poor Misha cracks up, like, every second line." But Tahmoh is insistent.

"Just bite your cheeks."

"Bite them for me," I append, winking to let him know I'm kidding. Mouth spilling into my guy-next-door smile. It's amazing how everyone falls for my act.

As the laughter bubbles down, Osric places the pan on the heat and turns to us, shooing us away from the kitchen that the women miraculously trusted us to use while cooking lunch.

"Mark and I have got this. You guys go enjoy the great outdoors and we'll have lunch ready in about an hour."

Jared and Tahmoh give twin grunts and Jensen shrugs noncommittally.

"Okay. You guys game for a swim?"

We murmur our consent and start shuffling towards the exit in relief, just as Vicki comes down the stairs.

She's just woken up, but she looks fresh as a daisy, her hair damp from her shower and face beaming beatifically at us. West and Maison are in tow.

"Hey guys," she loops her arms around my neck and I peck her on the cheek.

"Morning, Vick."

"More like afternoon," Jared amends, giving her a warm hug. "We're making lunch so you gals can relax."

Vicki voices her approval while I wrap Mai and Westie in a playful bear hug.

"Hey there, little fellas!"

"Daddy, I wanna play outside," Maison whines, tugging at my shirt sleeve. "Come play with us." West seconds her proposition and I kiss the tops of their heads.

"Sure, you guys. Come on, let's go."

In the large backyard, I settle down with the kids at the edge of the sandbox while the others head for the dock.

"Daddy," West chirps. "Am I a good cook?"

"The best," I grin ruefully, ruffling his hair while he scoops some sand in a blue plastic pail and deposits it onto a steadily-growing mound that I can only assume is the makings of a sand castle.