Chapter Thirty

Maison is strapped snugly in her booster seat, legs covered by a thin blanket, stuffed elephant tucked in beside her.

She rubs her eyes, lower lip thrust forward in a pout, and fusses louder when she sees me approaching.

"Ready to go, Mai?" I give her a quick peck on the cheek before sliding into the driver's seat.

Vicki pushes the last of our bags into the trunk of the car and slams the hood down.

"Okay, babe; that's everything."

I stretch my neck from side to side, the cracks and pops releasing some of the tension I've been holding since lunch.

She comes around to the passenger door and slips inside, the slam of the closing door punctuated by a deep, rumbling peal of thunder.

"Dammit," I mutter under my breath, hoping Maison and West don't hear the frustrated expletive. But a glance in the rearview confirms that Westie is asleep.

"Jared's coming out now," Vicki murmurs, and I look up to see Gigantor stride across the cottage driveway towards us.

"Shitty weather for the trip back home, huh," he murmurs, leaning in through the window.

I thump my fist against the steering wheel in response, frowning as the dark sky opens up and a torrent of rain begins to fall.

"Yeah, we'll have to take it slow."

Through the thick sheath of water, the cottage lights flicker moodily, the well-lit entrance appearing much more warm and welcoming than it had two days ago. And emptier. "I'm gonna miss this place."

I drum my fingers along the steering wheel for several seconds, contemplating the likelihood that the rain will pass quickly. I hear the sound of engines revving in the cars around me as we prepare to pull out.

"Me too, man. But, hey. Airport's not too far," Jared's voice carries over the rustle of wind through the leaves and the gravely purr of engines. "Mark will take the lead, so just follow close behind, okay?"

The heavens mock me as the downpour seems to increase in intensity.

"Will we be making any stops along the way?" Vicki leans around me to peer at Jared.

"Not sure. Check your phone; we'll keep in touch via group chat, maybe pull over somewhere if need be."

"Will do," I murmur hastily. "Now get in your car; you're getting soaked."

I give him a look that promises bodily removal if he doesn't get his ass in gear and he straightens.

"See you guys in a bit."

Rainwater sluicing across the windshield, I back out of the driveway and onto the road. It's not a pleasant trip. Bad weather, heavy traffic, construction everywhere - not to mention that I'm met with a red light at ninety percent of the intersections I hit.

"We're stopping at an On Route," Osric's voice crackles to life over the Bluetooth stereo system in the car.

"How far?"