Chapter 2: Obligations

The weak winter sun was already shining through the window when Abigail rolled over and opened her eyes. Sitting up and kicking off the bedcovers, she yawned and looked across at the digital alarm clock resting on the bedside table.

"Seven-thirty," she sighed. "It's the holidays and I'm still up at the crack of dawn"

"Abigail," her dad called from downstairs. "There's something here for you"

"Coming," Abigail called back, walking to her wardrobe.

Was it something from Daniel? Did he want to see her again?

Deciding she wanted answers sooner rather than later, Abigail quickly selected her clothes; a plain black t-shirt with matching tight-fit jeans. Running a brush through her hair and deciding her storm-grey eyes didn't look too bloodshot, she hurried downstairs.

Her dad was waiting for her in the kitchen, dressed in his usual black suit and red tie. His eyes suggested the argument of the previous night had been forgiven; something Abigail was thankful for. He held out a thin brown envelope and Abigail's heart sank as she took it and saw her school's address stamped in the corner. Ripping the envelope open, she read it out loud.

Abigail Emris,
Tritan High School invites you to attend intervention sessons in order to improve your chances of obtaining high results in the final exams at the end of this year. Sessions run from 08:00-13:00 and will cover the entirety of the Christmas holidays, excluding Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Report to reception at 07:55 to collect your intervention timetable
Yours Sincerely,
John Winfeld, Executive Head

Abigail reached the end of the letter and looked up. Her dad slid a plate of food across the table and she took it gratefully. The kitchen was silent for several minutes as they ate.

"Do I have to go?" Abigail asked, picking up the empty plate and carrying it over to the sink. She noticed Lynne's plate was still sat uncleaned on the sideboard.
"Beneath you, is it?" She hissed under her breath.

"Yes, you have to go," her dad said, giving no indication that he had heard her last remark. "I'll drop you off on the way to work; so be ready in ten"
He looked out of the window and Abigail thought she saw a brief flicker of sadness appear on his face.

"Something wrong?" She asked.

"No," her dad said.He looked over at her and the sadness was gone." I just think we'll be in for a bad winter, so be prepared"

Abigail nodded and made her way back to the room. She had just closed the door when her phone vibrated. Checking the screen, she saw a text message sent from an unknown number. Curious, she opened it up:
"Hello Abigail, it's Daniel"

'Just full of surprises aren't you?'
She couldn't remember giving him her number, or even mentioning her phone. After a few hesitant seconds, she replied:
"Hi Daniel. How did you get my number?"

A reply flashed up within a few seconds.
"Can you be at the old theatre on Cheltaim Street at half-past two? I'll explain everything then"

Almost without thinking, she sent a quick "Okay" and picked up her school bag.

"Come on Abigail, or you're going to be late," her dad warned from the bottom of the stairs.

Climbing into the passenger seat of her dad's worn silver Cadillac, Abigail stared out of the window as the familiar drab, grey buildings rolled by. It was as they pulled up next to the school gates that a thought occured to her.

"Dad?"

"Hmm?" He replied, turning to look at her.

"Do you know someone called Daniel?" Abigail asked, not quite sure why she had brought the topic up in the first place. "Long black hair, wears a black coat with silver buttons?"