Mary

The next day I wake up to my mum's famous smell of bacon with eggs.
"Saturday, finally!" I lift my hands up in the air.

"Morning, mother," I kiss her cheek.
"Morning, sweetheart," she smiles, pouring me a cup of tea.
"You seem pretty happy today."
I tell her about the London trip, and she smiles at the thought of it.
"I wish I could go, but I want Jai to see it too," she smiles, "I'm sure you two will have fun there. Take pictures of every place you visit, and don't try to run away at midnight."
I chuckle. That won't happen again.
"I should probably check up on Jai," I say, grabbing my flannel and stepping out of the house.
I'm still wearing my sexy pajama, so a flannel will cover much skin, though I think it's time to make up my mind and tell him I want to be with him.
It's still 10 a.m; he's probably sleeping. I'll surprise him.
I ring the doorbell, and it takes him a great seven minutes to answer.
"Amanda?" He says, confused.
"Hey, babe," I kiss his cheek.
"It's 10 in the morning, you know," I notice him sweating.
Isn't he happy to see me?
"I missed you," I throw my arms around his neck, waiting for him to lift me up, but he doesn't.
"Let's go upstairs," I whisper, admiring his naked skin.
"No," he answers quickly, grabbing my waist, "let's stay here."
"But it's not the sameee," I whine, trying to reach for his lips but he pulls away.
Why is he acting so strange?

I hear footsteps approaching us. Finally, a figure stands upstairs facing us.
"Babeee, what's taking you so long?" She asks.

Mary. It's Mary.

I keep my distance as she comes towards us. To my surprise, she is wearing Jai's shirt only.
I wonder if she even has her underwear.
Her hair is tied in a perfect bun. Can she get any prettier?
Wait, this is not what I should be thinking of.
Don't cry Mandy; don't you dare-
"What is she doing here?" She asks in disgust.
"I came here to tell Jai I've made up my mind, and I don't want him to waste his chance, which he clearly already had. Oh, and also, I was willing to take him to the London trip with me, but this seems far more amusing to him," I don't say as I adjust my flannel. Instead I say "I was just giving him back his notebook."
Though I barely made a sound I think she heard me.
"Then I guess you're done because we have stuff to do."
He was speechless.
Shocked.
He didn't even look at me.
"Yeah, I'm sorry to interrupt," I smile weakly at them, and make my way back home.
I think I heard him say "hold up" or something, but I was about to faint.
I was spinning around in circles.
"Mandy, baby, what happened to you? You look like you've seen a ghost!" Is that my mother? I didn't notice tears were all over my face had she not wiped them off.
She hugs me tight, but I stay there, numb, replaying everything in my head.
I was crying my heart out.
"Do.. Y-you still wanna g-go to Lo-n-don?" I manage to say in between tears.
I think she understood what happened because she only nods and hugs me back again.
I need to be alone.
I pull away and make my way to my room.
"Mandy," she says.
"Please," I beg, locking the door behind me.

***

I open my eyes to what seems like 8-9 p.m. I did sleep a lot actually. Not only that, I also have 2 missed calls and 3 messages, 2 from Jai and the other from Riley.
After all that he has done, he still thinks I want to speak to him?
I take a peek at Riley's message.

From Riley

Your mum called me. You've been locked in your room for eternity she says. I'm so worried about you. I'll come over at night. Please answer me...

I don't finish the message. I don't want to talk about it.

One new message from Jai.
Open it.

I leave my phone aside and sit at the edge of the bed, staring outside.
My eyes feel itchy from so much sobbing. I am still feeling so weak.
Was I never enough to him?
Was this all a game?
How do people even dare take the risk of falling in love if all I ever feel when I try to fall is torn apart?
I thought that this time he was really afraid of losing me. I mean, he was trying so hard. Mary just showed out of nowhere and-
No, I really should stop giving excuses.
I love him but this doesn't explain anything.
I think that after all, sometimes no matter how hard you try, or how hard you hold on, or how many chances you give, some stories are just not meant to be, some stories are just not meant to have a happy ending.
To be continued.