Prologue

I never thought it would all come to this.

Literally just a little more than a year ago, I lived in the poor and quiet District of District 12. Just a little more than a year ago, I got reaped for the Hunger Games. And just a little more than a year ago, my older sister Katniss volunteered to protect me.

My name is Primrose Everdeen. I now live in the secret underground city of District 13 training to become a doctor.

As I work with my mom and the medical team of District 13, Katniss has become the Mockingjay. A sign of hope for all the other Districts of Panem.

Honestly, I'm proud of my sister. Not everyone can just stand up for all 13 Districts against the Capitol. I wish to help, but my sister would just give me a gentle, sad smile and tell me that I'm helping her by healing the wounded and taking care of the people of 13. 

But sometimes, even that doesn't feel like enough. 

I know I dislike violence. But sometimes, I feel that I should be outside carrying some sort of weapon alongside Katniss. But that would probably get me killed.

Part of me is thankful that I'm staying behind in District 13. Where I'm safe, and in hardly any danger. I didn't want to die, not now. I've heard and seen the horrors of the outside world, uprisings, bombings, riots, etc. 

Even before, the Hunger Games were just as bad. I've watched Katniss get burned, stung, nearly killed, and chased. Deep inside, I'm greatful that Katniss volunteered for me, but part of me feels like I need to repay her. 

It tears me apart sometimes.