Chapter Four

It had been almost a day since Katniss and I had that talk. And now she seems to be handling her duty has the Mockingjay pretty well.

After our talk, she went hunting with Gale. I watched them from the window. Katniss seemed almost normal. 

But something must've happened, because right after that, she and her camera crew went back to District 12. I thought my talk did the trick, but seeing Katniss's grim face of determination had proven my first theory. She was handling it well.

As I worked in the Medical Center, Nurse Patten oversees my training. Watching me make, fix, and label medicines. She always gives a nod of approval when I complete a task.

One night at dinnertime, Katniss and I were eating together. Then, Commander Boggs showed up. "Katniss, you're wanted at command."

Katniss hesitated. But I gave her a slight nod. So she stood up, looked at me fondly, then left. 

I continued to eat. At that moment, Nurse Patten sat down beside me.

"Hey. Prim. How're doing?"

I nodded politely. "I'm doing well. Katniss just got called to Command."

Nurse Patten, probably in her early or late forties, I couldn't tell, slowly nodded. "It must be hard. Seeing your sister dealing with this."

Why is everyone being so sympathetic to me? I thought to myself. 

"It is. But she knows that I'm always here for her. She cares a lot about me, and my mom."

"I've seen," said Nurse Patten gently, "she's a loyal family member. I honestly admire her for that."

I smiled.

"Oh, and I have some great news." Said Nurse Patten more quietly, "I've been overseeing your training since you got here. How about if you would like to train and then work as a medical doctor on the field? It means wherever we go, we hunt for the wounded and aid them."

My eyes widened, "You mean like going out and rescuing people?"

Nurse Patten laughed, it was a gentle kind of laugh. "In a way, yes."

The smile I had on my face, turned into a grin. "Oh, Nurse Patten. You have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you."

Before Nurse Patten could say anything else, an alarm went off.

"What's that?" I asked worriedly.

Nurse Patten stood up, "It's an air raid alarm. Something is going on. Come on." She grabbed my arm and led me down to where people were descending down the stairwell. 

As we ran down the steps. I remembered something. 

 More like somebody.

"Buttercup!" I exclaimed.

Nurse Patten looked at me. "What?" 

"I forgot something," I said, and while ignoring Nurse Patten's calls for me to come back, I squeezed past everyone else.

The whole building shook. It brought me back to the bombing of District 12. Yes, this is what exactly what it was. Another bombing. But I couldn't let Buttercup alone again like I did last time. I sprinted up the steps towards the sleeping quarters. The sprinklers went off, and it felt like running in the rain.

I saw Buttercup in the hallway. I snatched him up and ran back down the long, long flight of stairs.

"Prim!' I heard someone shout.

"Katniss!" I called out.

I had only fifteen seconds left.

"Katniss!"