Chapter 4: Buses

Chapter 4: Buses

“Alright, you ready Kiddo,” my dad asked, putting my suitcase in the trunk.  I plopped my backpack on top of it with hardly any effort at all.  I sighed and put my hands on my hips.  My nose hurt from waking up suddenly this morning, and I exhaled all the stress out of my lungs, but as I breathed in, other stresses filled my entire body.

“I’m good to go,” I said, watching my mom walk out of the garage towards us.  She looked surprisingly sad to see me leaving.  It made my heart ache with sorrow.  I knew it was for more than just a few months, it could be for life.

“Have fun at camp sweaty, I’m going to miss you,” she said, slipping my short bangs behind my ears, they fell right back in front of my eyes.  It made me blink, and I giggled.  My mom just smiled, “you need to find something to do with your bangs.”

“I know mom, I have a hair clip,” I replied, still giggling.  I showed her, but didn’t put it in my hair.  My smile faded out of curiosity as my mom removed something from her pocketbook. 

“I wanted to give you this,” she said, lightly placing a small, egg-looking box in my hands.  “It was your great grandmother’s, my mother gave it to me for my sixteenth birthday.  She said it brings good luck, and it has for me.” I looked at her for a few seconds, just smiling with joy.  I opened it, and a silver charm bracelet lay inside, “You can add to it.”

“Thanks mom,” I said, hugging her around the neck, “I’ll keep it safe.”

“You should go now, I’ll miss you,” she said as I put on the bracelet.  I clicked it shut and put the egg box into my bag.

“I’ll miss you too,” I said, meaning every word.  She is the best mom anyone could have.  She always told me advice when I needed it, and she always took my side.  She was like a close friend, one that won’t leave me when I grow up.  I didn’t want to leave her yet.

“Let’s go,” my dad said, turning the car on.  I opened the passenger seat door, and turned to look at my mom.  Oreo stood beside her, her long tongue hanging from her mouth as she whimpered.  My mom waved at me with a smile on her face. I smiled back and waved, mouthing bye, I’ll miss you. She made a heart shape with her hands in return.  I sat in the passenger’s seat and closed the door as my dad started the car.  We left the driveway, and I felt my heart sink a little.  I didn’t like leaving my mother, but was excited to see my friends.  This would be the last two months I would spend with them, and they didn’t even know.

“Here we are,” my dad said as we pulled into the YMCA parking lot.  I looked at my watch, and saw that it was five minutes from nine.  I searched for Hunter’s blue car, but I didn’t find it.  In a few minutes, he would be too late, and I might never see him again.  I felt my eyes water with the thought.

“Thanks for giving me a ride dad,” I said as I hugged him, hunching over the cup holders, almost spilling his coffee.

“No problem…just be safe and stay away from boys.  I don’t want you liking someone you might not see again,” he said, shaking his finger like I was a little kid who wasn’t listening advice.

“Dad, I won’t,” I said stepping out the door, “Besides, I like Hunter.”

“I know,” he said with a sorry look, “now don’t hurt his feelings, he cares about you and he is good for you.  He’s more mature than most boys-“

“I get it dad, see you later in the summer,” I said barely cutting him off, I swiftly kissed his cheek and went to open the trunk, “bye.”

“Bye honey,” he looked at me, sad that I left him.  I got my suitcase and backpack out of the trunk, put my bag on my back and left.