Chapter 11: Meeting

Chapter 11: Meeting

          It’s Friday, a more then a week after I officially met Amber.  I waited in my room, staring out my window, waiting for the sun to set.  I lay on my couch, looking at the sunset, seeing a silhouette of a large bird in it.  It was probably Rebel.  Today I would meet Titus, even though I might know him.

            “You okay Karissa,” Grace asked, she sat on Vanessa’s bed; they were painting each other’s nails.  I hated painting my nails, but I let them use transparent nail polish.  I guessed now would be the time we needed to discuss my situation.

            “Yeah, I’m fine; I was just watching the sunset,” I said.  Our room had four walls; three of them had a window elongating across, so you could see the sunrise and the sunset.  We had the biggest room on this floor; the other two rooms could only fit one person in each room.  We had the luxury room, and it suited me.

            “Karissa thanks,” Vanessa said.  She put the pink nail polish away.  I looked at her, confused at the sudden gesture.  That and I still lingered in my sad, trance state.

            “For what,” I asked, turning my head towards them.  I didn’t notice the brightly lit room until I turned away from the window.  I blinked a few times to let my eyes adjust to the light.

            “Setting me up with Aric,” she said, a smile on her face, her green eyes gleaming.  We hadn’t even talked about it before.  They went on their date, and she said nothing about it.  I guess she was the type who didn’t talk about relationships.  That was another reason we got along so easily, I hate talking about relationships.

            “I didn’t set you up, he asked you out,” I said the complete truth, even though I set up the scene.  I liked seeing Aric’s smile that day.  He never smiled like that before.  Not to anyone but me anyways.  The only other time he smiled like that was our kiss in the third grade.  He had a crush on me back then, and I liked him the same way.  I didn’t want it to go far though, because we were too young.  We became best friends after that, and I’ve thought of him as my brother ever since.

            “No, you set us up.  If you hadn’t gone down the slide with Marcus, I wouldn’t have gone down with Aric and he would never have asked me,” she said, convincing me of what I already knew but tried to deny.

            “Um…okay, I just wanted him to ask you, instead of him making me doing it,” I said, “I don’t like dates that are set up by other people, and I wanted Aric to burst from his shell.”

            “Well thanks, he’s a great boyfriend,” she said.  I turned my head back to the window and saw the sun finally set; leaving a pink line.  I needed to go soon.  I sighed with sadness, meeting them would surely mean leaving my old, happy life behind.

            “We now you’re leaving tonight,” Grace said as she sat next to me on the couch. “What are you going to do while you’re gone?”

            “I’m meeting someone who isn’t in the camp,” I said, turning and facing Grace.  Vanessa sat down on the floor in front of us.  She looked like a curious puppy.

            “Who,” Vanessa asked.

            “The girl that followed the bus here,” I replied.

            “The other winged girl,” Grace asked.  I started sliding the charm bracelet through my fingers and nodded, I would keep my charm bracelet and eagle necklace with me on my adventure.