Epilogue

Epilogue

            I walked into the forest, familiarizing myself with the scenery.  Starting with the giant rock that two people could sit on and have a conversation for hours.  Then I turned to the tree, tall enough to tower over any other, thick enough to climb.  An M carved into a big root sticking out of the ground.  I familiarized every tree and every rock, I’d been here so many times before, and I etched them in my memories.

            I walked on for a couple minutes, listening to the crickets sing and the bird’s crow.  All lay silent as a couple walked through the woods, the tall boy walking just behind the beautiful brunette girl.  I could see them clearly ahead of me, but they weren’t actually there.  A memory replaying itself in my vision.  Even the couple on the rock, they were just a memory, it wasn’t a happy conversation they were having, but it changed something between them.

            I came upon a stream, fish jumped out as I walked up the sides.  They swam peacefully, moving in one direction.  The calming sound of rushing water passed by with every crunch of my foot on the ground.  The blue water lapped over rocks, making a small trickling sound that calmed me.

            On the other side of the stream, a group of people walked by.  Four people walked a few yards behind them.  The same boy and girl talked and a small blonde girl walked behind them, with a tall blonde guy.  They didn’t talk to each other; they just watched their friends talk.  Soon they would walk over the stream and to a lighthouse.

            I walked on still, looking for a waterfall.  I heard the falling water off in the distance, closing in on my destination.  I walked towards the noise, wanting to get closer, wanting to see the water crash to the ground.  Even though this place had a horrible memory with a cat, it had a good memory with a girl, the girl, and some wolves.

            I walked up to the waterfall, tracing my hand across a big rock that used to have a red smear across it.  This smear of my friend’s blood, one that I would miss dearly if all my thoughts and questions were true.  If they weren’t true, well I would be with him for the rest of my teenage life.

            I stepped behind the rushing water, and walked farther into the waterfall.  Once I stood halfway in, I stepped back into the darkness, turning around to see nothing.  I went to the back of the cave, where I had once slept.  I sat down and waited, I waited for her to appear. I traced my hand on the empty ground beside me, where that girl slept with me.   She slept, so warm and calm; I could still feel her heartbeat on my abdomen.  She would always be there, but it would always be vacant.  I sat for hours, no sign that she was coming back.

            Just as I was going to get up and leave, a shadow appeared at the entrance of the cave.  A wolf pup, half grown looked over at me, almost smiling.  He ran over and licked my face, and then he sat in my lap.  He soon fell asleep, and I could ponder my thoughts again.

            After the pup quietly snored, another wolf, full grown with light grey fur walked in.  She looked at me and wagged her fluffy tail.  Then she came over and sat in front of me, looking at me the same way she did before.

            “I know what you came here for,” she said, “you want any answer you can get, all of them have to do with her, am I right?”  Yeah, I can talk to animals, and I particularly liked this wolf.

            “Yeah, you’re right, but I just want to ask a few questions,” I said, my deep voice echoing in the cave.

            “What’s your first question,” she asked, almost sounding like a wise women, her voice calm and engaging.

            “Will I ever see her again,” I asked, stroking the puppy’s head.

            “That, you will decide for yourself.  I can not choose what happens in your future, only you can do that,” she replied without hesitation.

            “Okay, my next question is…what will become of my powers.  How do they work exactly?”

            “Your first power comes when you are close to death, your second, is shed by the one you love, you’ll get it from whoever that will be.  And your third, well, it is what will make you stronger.  You usually get it trying to protect the one you love.  Whatever situation that will be, you will survive it and any other situations like it.  You will have a fourth, unlike the others, but I cannot tell what it is or how you will get it.”

            “My last question…well it’s about you, how do you know all of this?”

            “A symbol will lead you to that question,” she said, “a black feather; I believe you’ve seen it before.”  It was Brandon’s feather.  Brandon, part Avian like Karissa, so he will know how to find her, but won’t join her.

            “This symbol will show up in a lot of places, one person in particular is in acquaintance to the symbol, she is marked with white, the color of pureness.  She won’t tell you about the symbol, but she will tell you history that has to do with it.  Jerome, you will have to go find her…all you have to do, is look for a double of someone you know very well.”  Then the two wolves disappeared into the waterfall.

            My future confused me; it might be hard, terrifying, and happy at the same time.  I wanted to go looking for this girl, I needed to look for my new powers, and I needed new answers.  I hoped Karissa would be waiting for me, because I knew I had to go get her.

~~~~~~~

So, my book is done :(   but the story is not.  this series will most likely have five books, and you can check out its sequel on my profile page.  it is called Mission Mutants.  it is unedited, and not close to finished, but i will try to get it done by next summer.  hope you like this series ^.^ <3 Lia