Chapter 6: Background Story

            I walked through the forest in a big group of people.  They all looked around, remembering the places in the tour.  We walked for about an hour, and seemed to get nowhere.  We couldn’t get near certain places, and everywhere else was just woods or some small fields.  I walked near the back of the group, hardly interested in the tour guide’s words.

            “Alright, everyone come this way please,” the person giving us the tour said.  He was very tall and skinny, and his voice really low.  It made all the girls giggle.  “We are going near the falls, but not too close, there is a wild wolf pack that lives near there.  They’re not afraid to attack us.” Everyone exchange worried glances, except me.  I could take out a wolf with one blow if I had to.

            “Here we are,” he said, we saw the falls from fifty feet away, about four stories high and water flowed making a big, thundering boom as it hit the ground.  There was a small cave hidden behind the waterfall, and I felt like I was the only one who saw it.  It was a small opening, big enough for me to get through, or a wolf.

            “It’s cool isn’t it,” Vanessa asked almost gawking at the waterfall.  She went to this camp once before, and she knew about the falls.  I looked over at the tour leader and saw Jerome standing next to him.  One of his friends stood beside him, staring curiously at the falls.  I wanted to speak to Jerome about yesterday.  I anxiously wanted to know what he thought about it, or what his friend thought.  When I perched on the tower, looking at Jerome, I noticed his friend talking to Effie at the party.  They stood behind him, but I couldn’t tell what they were talking about.  Effie stared at me in fear of my wings.  When I talked to her last night; she was amazed but still horrified. 

            The only people I knew in this tour group were Miles, Vanessa and Jerome.  Miles talked to his roommate about a videogame they were both addicted to.  Vanessa walked behind me, staring at the falls, but she seemed to be following me.  I don’t think she knew anyone else.  I walked over to Jerome, not really thinking about what I was doing.  It was an impulse.  Vanessa followed me, but more cautiously then before.  She probably wondered what I was doing.  As I surged forward, everyone else did, and I had to walk even faster to catch up with Jerome.

            “Hey Jerome,” I said as I finally caught up to him.  He turned around and looked at me with surprise written all over his face.

            “Hey, I thought you were avoiding me,” he said and in truth, I tried to avoid him until now.  He slowed down so I walked beside him.  His friend fell in step behind us, and next to Vanessa.

            “Sorry about that…hey I have a question,” I said, still trying to catch up to his pace.

            “You mean you want to know my reaction about what happened yesterday,” he said, a smile falling across his face.  He didn’t seem fazed by the question at all.  It seemed more casual then it should have been, “Well, I’m alright with it, to tell you the truth; I’m a supernatural too.”

            “Oh, well what are you then,” I asked astounded by his statement.

            “I am part Fae, with a little bit of witch’s blood,” he said, almost nervous to state it.

            “You mean like a fairy?” I asked a little confused.

            “Yeah, my dad was a fairy warlock.  He can do basically anything and he is trying to teach me some sorcery. I like to call it a Fae because it sounds better and it’s another name for it,” he said almost jokingly.