07 → "THE CHANGING"

07 "THE CHANGING"

RIGHT AS ADELINE fell to the ground, three more Griever's charged and three girls were stung. One Griever knocked the girl over and stung her just a fraction from the heart, the other in the hip. The last Griever attacked someone close by to where Adeline was, and her screams emitted throughout the Sector as the Griever got her in the back. The girl was Beth, and she dropped to her knees, right as the Griever's descended back into the Maze, like they were ordered to do so. The Griever that had pounced on Victoria drew back and scurried away, towards the entrance it had come, leaving a barely breathing Victoria sprawled out of the grass, bloody and battered. Adeline's hand was pressing against her abdomen, blood caking her hand. When she got the courage to draw her shirt up and get a look, she found a blueish purple Griever sting. Her skin was starting to break out in hives, and her veins were starting to turn a prominent green colour. Harriet and Sonya were by their sides, then came the Medics and a group of girls rushed over with wooden boards, hoisting Adeline up onto one, Victoria onto another and Beth and the other two girls onto separate boards.

"We've gotta get 'em the serum!" Ruth rushed out.

They got the five girls into the infirmary as fast as they could, which caused a commotion. The five girls were given separate rooms, and Medics were assigned to give each girl the serum that Ruth had mentioned. Ruth peered over Adeline, and someone held her down. Someone was barking orders, which she assumed was Harriet.

"Hurry!" Someone barked. There was a prick in her stomach, and a brief shock of pain, which made Adeline's hands ball up into fists. Moments before the serum began to take effect on Adeline, she begun to hallucinate. Harriet's blurry face peered down on her. Harriet said something, but it sounded like Adeline was underwater, and her voice seemed far away. And then, right as the serum begun to take effect, her body calmed.

Then, darkness dragged her under.

Surgical tables and instruments. Water, her lungs burning. Eyes peering down at her. People with lab coats. They flashed by and didn't stop. Children, pleading faces. Familiar faces.

Adeline felt like she was drifting in a dark void of nothingness. Images continued flashing by, until they finally stopped. Darkness caved in under her eyelids, and the images were gone.

She stood watching. There were people screaming, cars and buildings on fire. Bodies laid strewn across the ground, scorched from flames. Buildings were in ruins, and the world was in chaos. Something bad had happened, but what, that was a mystery. Something bad had wreaked havoc on the world. Something that had killed thousands of people. Whatever had happened, people were dying.