48 → "FIGHT"

48 "FIGHT"

AS BOTH GROUPS, including the two people that Group A picked up — Brenda and Jorge, as she'd come to learn — charged towards the lightbulb creatures, Adeline pulled out her machete and half charged, half hobbled at the creature that had stopped walking, bracing its itself into fighting stance, hands outstretched, blades pointing directly at her. All the creatures had done the exact thing — standing in fighting stances as both groups charged. The orange lights were flickering and receding, and Adeline's first intention was to aim for its stomach-if it even had a stomach. As she slashed out her machete, it hit the creature, and it stumbled backwards. Adeline continued to slash the monster numerous times, until it jerked out it's leg and she tumbled to the ground. Adeline hit the ground with an oomph, and before Adeline could do anything, the monster started clawing at her with the blade from its stubby fingers, trying to slash her across the face. Adeline still had her machete, thankfully, and when it didn't notice, she stabbed the creature in its chest. Roaring in rage, the monster stumbled backwards, but Adeline was unable to get to her feet. Adeline got a short moment to sneak a small glance both groups.

Thomas was racing away from his monster, Minho stabbing and jabbing at his, Matt barely standing as he fought the creature. Newt was scrambling across the ground, the creature he fought lumbering after him, obviously injured. Teresa was jumping and dodging and poking her opponent with the butt of her spear. When Adeline heard a moan escape from the creature she'd been fighting, she peered back behind her to find the monster stumbling towards her. Without thinking it through, when the creature was close enough to her, Adeline slashed out her machete. It made contact with one of the orange lights. When the knife made contact with the bulb, it smashed in a fit of sparks and the light died instantly. The monster faltered.

The bulbs.

Adeline noticed that a few others had also gotten the idea, but most hadn't, fighting with desperation to hack at their limbs. A couple of people already lay on the ground, barely alive. One boy. One girl. Adeline, still on the ground, turned back towards her opponent, when it went to attack. Defensively, Adeline swiped at the nearest bulb. Just like the last, it smashed and exploded in another fit of sparks. Adeline continued with this; swiping at bulbs, watching them explode one after another. Each bulb shattering drained the creature's strength, and it began to slump, though it didn't stop trying to fight back. Bulb by bulb, the creature's strength faltered. Adeline continued.

Lightning started to fall and lightening flashed behind them, then the sound of thunder. Then there was a rumbling of the ground, and then smoke. There was a massive black hole in the ground, charred and smoking. More lightning continued to rain down on them from the black clouds above. The lightning exploded all around them; clouds of dirt flew into the air from every direction. More lightning rained down, one striking near Adeline this time, knocking her further away from where she once was. Her nose hit the ground, and with a groan, Adeline rolled onto her back with, groaning, then found the creature she'd been fighting hobbling after her. Patting the ground for her machete, her leg aching, she just managed to find the machete when there was a shout.

"Adeline! Watch out!"

But when she looked up, she realised that Aris had stopped the creature from harming Adeline. But he was gone as fast as he'd saved her from being harmed by that lightbulb creature. Adeline reared the machete, hit at another bulb. Meanwhile, Teresa stood over her monster, slamming the butt of her spear down and smashing the last bulb. Minho was on the ground, but slowly getting to his feet. Newt stood there, breathing in and out, heaving deep breaths. Frypan doubled over and threw up. Some were lying on the ground. Brenda and Jorge were still fighting the monsters. Thunder boomed all around them. Adeline got herself up, pain spreading throughout her entire injured leg. She stumbled as she regained to her feet, clutching her machete tightly in her right hand. Finishing up the last of the creature by shattering the bulbs. And then it was dead, sprawled on the ground.

Rain was bucketing down, lightning flashing all around them. Thunder boomed in the distance. From ahead, Adeline found Thomas and Teresa climbing inside a pod, something she hadn't thought to do. From her left she heard Minho calling out their names, pointing towards a pod closest to him. Adeline hobbled towards Minho, stumbled, grit her teeth in pain. The moment Adeline had reached the pod, as had Newt. Minho was just climbing inside. Once inside, Minho leant out his hand for her to take, and Adeline gritted her teeth once more as both boys helped her inside the pod, then helped Newt. The pod wasn't as big inside as it seemed to be; it was tight fit with all three of them. Minho struggled to pull the lid of the pod down to seal them inside, but once it was closed, the three of them huddled down. The rain was hollow against the lid of the pod, and in the distance the sound of thunder and the lightning echoed.

"How long do we have left?" Newt asked. Minho peered down at his watch.

"Two minutes." Minho replied.

The three of them stayed huddled up in the pod for the next two minutes, and at least 50 seconds before the time was up, Minho was just about to push open the lid when a bolt of lightning hit into their pod, and a small hole in the ceiling of the pod formed, shaking the pod. Adeline shrieked in fright, but then covered her mouth to stop herself. 30 seconds before the time was up, Minho pushed open the lid with a grunt. Struggling to get it open, Newt and Adeline helped. The moment the lid flipped open, Minho got himself out, then Newt. Adeline was last to get out, hating the fact she had to be injured currently. Once out, they found Teresa, Thomas, Brenda and Jorge gaping up at the sky. Adeline's eyes followed the same direction, and that's when she noticed it. Something Minho had called a Berg was hovering just thirty feet from the ground.