49 → "ITS OVER"

49 "ITS OVER"

THE FINAL SECONDS until the time was up ticked away, the Berg landed on the ground, signaling the time to make it to the Safe Haven was officially up. The cargo door started to open, and Thomas had called out for them to go. Adeline hobbled towards the Berg, their shoes squeaking in the mud. Minho was in front of her, Newt just before her. Adeline was struggling, but she pushed the pain away and tried to focus on the main goal right now: to get to that Berg. They got just about 30 meters towards the Berg when a dozen of the bulb creatures appeared; and they were headed for a spot cutting off Adeline and her friends from the open cargo door. At least half of their bulbs had been busted, and their jerky movements showed it. The people in the Berg did nothing, only watched.

"Go right through 'em!" Thomas yelled.

Minho, along with Newt and a few other boys from Group A joined the charge. Adeline found herself besides Harriet. Everyone seemed to understand the plan: fight off these last few monsters and get out of there. The creatures swiped their blades through the air, roaring as they waited for them to charge. Adeline pulled out her machete, thrust her weapon at the last alive bulbs on the creature, smashing them. They all exploded with sparks. This continued on. Adeline slashed at the creature, shattering the last light bulb. The creature stumbled backwards and crashed to the ground, dead. As soon as the creature died, Adeline spun around, finding that Thomas, Minho and Jorge had defeated their opponents. Her eyes landed on Newt, who was favouring his bad leg, Brenda helping him stab out the remaining bulbs on his opponent. The Berg was twenty feet away.

Then, the ship started to lift off the ground.

"It's leaving!" Thomas screamed, pointing frantically. "Hurry!"

Every was running now, except for Adeline who was still hobbling. The Berg had reached three feet off the ground, slowly rising. A couple of boys from Group A and three girls from Group B had reached it first, dove onto the platform of the open cargo door. Others reached it, climbed on, scrambled inside. Adeline reached the Berg just as Minho did, Minho leaping onto the platform, almost slipping, then helped Adeline. Newt got himself up, but Adeline and Minho had to pull him in. The Berg was still rising. Others climbing on, reaching to pull others up. The Berg was now six feet above the ground, starting to tilt. Three people still hung from the edge. Harriet and Newt were pulling a girl in. Adeline got Aris up with help from Minho. Brenda held on only with her hands, her body dangling as she kicked her feet and tried to pull herself up. Thomas dropped to his stomach and reached out and grabbed her right arm, Teresa got the other one. Jorge had planted his butt and feet, holding tightly to both Thomas and Teresa. Brenda finally came over the edge enough for her to get herself up and in.

"Who are these two people?" a man with short red hair shouted. He was holding a black pistol pointed at Brenda and Jorge, who sat next to each other, shivering and wet. "Somebody answer me!"