13 → "ALIGHT"

13 "ALIGHT"

"SISTER?" ADELINE QUESTIONED. "Wait, how do you remember that we're related, but I don't remember anything from before I arrived here?"

"You think I know?" Aris snapped. "For some reason, the only thing I remember is that you're my sister and that Rachel is my friend. Before I woke, I had short and choppy memories of you both. One of which was us two, Adeline stating that we're siblings and we have to stick together. I also saw Rachel and I, and somewhere in that short memory I was able to grasp an idea that we were close friends before being sent up here."

"Oh my —" Before Rachel could finish her words, there was banging on the door to the room they stood in, Harriet's voice muffled slightly by the wooden door as she ordered for them to open it.

"Open the door!"

Adeline turned towards Aris, who nodded to indicate that they could remove the chair from the door to let Harriet into the room. When she had done so, the door swung open, where they came face to face with Harriet, Sonya and the Keeper of the Medics, Ruth.

"Glad you three have sat down and had a cozy chat with one another." Sonya retorted.

"But, that's not what we're worried about right now." Harriet said. "Although we will address this later."

"What's wrong?" Adeline questioned.

"The doors." this came from Sonya. "They didn't close tonight."

There was no sun for the crops, no box coming back up with supplies, and now the doors weren't closing. It seemed Aris was right, everything had changed. But, what did Aris mean that she had triggered the Ending? Adeline feared that Harriet would order to lock Aris up in the pit, but she didn't. Instead, she ordered for him to get out of the Keepers House and help the Chef's gather some food while Harriet went to gather everyone and send them to the bunker that the Architects had finished constructing only yesterday. The bunker was located under the Keepers House, concealed with wooden doors that appeared at first as a bunch of floor boards.

Girls were racing towards the Keeper's House to get to the bunker, while Harriet was making sure everyone was accounted for, counting them off one by one as girls gathered inside, although Adeline didn't understand how she could remember each and every girl's name to make sure none of them were missing. Adeline was helping the Chef's gather the food when it happened. A Griever screeched it's eerie screech, indicating that they had to get inside the Bunker. Turning on her heels, she saw the first Griever appear through the North Entrance, and that was more than a signal for Adeline to start racing towards the Bunker.