Chapter 23 - Bees?

*Carm's P.O.V*

So that's what a uni graduation looks like. Huh. You always see this stuff in like, really obnoxious violently American films where they all throw their caps into the air, and the protagonist makes a speech. Nope. It's a lot more boring. The only really exciting things in this graduation ceremony to happen are the giant smile on Elise's face when she goes up to get her chem degree, and the fact that nobody who hated me in high school was on the honors list. People had to double take as they looked at me watching. I wasn't well liked in high school, so when you walk by me at your graduation, makeup done well for once, got my hair done, my outfit on point, with a handsome man by my side, holding my hand, watching my best friend get her degree with honors, you're gonna be shocked. That's right. Do a double take, Stacey. I would too. Wow, I'm petty when I wanna be.

We now stand outside the building, waiting for Elise. She's brilliant at chemistry, she understands the periodic table better than I understand most people. Seeing her graduate is a dream come true. A few people walking past us recognise Jon and ask for a picture; but they've no idea who I am. Eh, fair enough. I'm only sitting on 40k subs. Oh yeah, that's a thing. 40k subs is one hell of an improvement from what i had a month and a half ago. It's all thanks to Jon, really, although my subs grew a further 10k after Heathers publicity started happening. Yikes. I have expectations to live up to now. I really don't want the media to compare me to Barrett, or Winona for that matter. I'm my own Vernonica, and I hope they can see that. My train of thought is interrupted by a very excited and hyped up Elise, running into a very unexpected hug.

'Did I do anything embarrassing up there?' she asks, genuine worry in her voice.

'You did really well Elise.' Jon responds before I get a chance to - the sentence from him comes across almost more meaningful to her because Jon is someone she looks up to. She smiles, smooths down her clothing, and starts walking back to the car. Jon looks at me, I shrug. I take his hand, and we follow this insane, crazy woman I call my best friend so we can get in a fast moving transportational metal death trap. I just love cars, don't you?

~15 minutes later~

Elise, upon walking back into the apartment, collapsed into bed, and is now taking a nap, which leaves Jon and I in a very, very awkward situation. Elise is a very light sleeper, meaning that if we do anything too noisy - putting on the tv, the microwave, sing, or anything else she's gonna wake up. Leaving us with not a lot we can do. Jon, being adorable, like he is, is currently looking out the window at the streets below, eyes darting back and forth, up, down, wherever, when a new thing catches his eye. This city is all completely new to him. It's old to me, the novelties have worn off. But with someone who hasn't seen this before, observing carefully and taking in all the details of what is now somewhat bland and ordinary to me kind of makes me excited about it again.

'Hey, babe?' I say, the word 'babe' sounding weird as soon as it came out of my mouth. Jon looks back at me - eyebrows raised, cheeky smile on his face.

'Babe? That's new.'

'Yup, and I'm never calling you that again. It was. Weird.' Nothing ever seems to come out my mouth that isn't incredibly awkward.

'Agreed.' he replies, stifling a small laugh.

'Anyway, what I was gonna say was d'you wanna go exploring?'

'Whereabouts?' he seems intrigued.

'The city, some of the smaller areas. Take you around where I grew up, maybe? I don't really mind, but, you know, in your own words, let's be tourists. Just. In my city this time.' His eyes light up at this phrase. By the now genuine smile on his face, I can tell he's excited. And that makes me excited.