Chapter Seven: Brotherhood Blues

Burke shifted impatiently from foot to foot, waiting at the bottom of the stairs. Around him, Bunker Hill was a hive of activity as preparations were underway for the settlers and Minutemen to begin a long journey to Starlight Drive-in, accompanying a large caravan towards Drumlin Diner enroute. He wanted to run on ahead and find Tara and spend as much time with her as he could, but he could feel the weight of the Paladin's gaze from the top of the stairs and knew that if he so much as took one step away, he risked being locked in the room without being able to say goodbye.

He turned his head to watch as the door to their room creaked open and Kay emerged, beckoning for Danse to enter. "Stay put, Squire." Danse said firmly, giving him a stern look before disappearing inside the room.

Burke broke into a sprint, wincing at the pain in his shoulders as he moved his arms. It didn't take him long to reach the leaving party, the settlers, guards, merchants and Minutemen checking their supplies and weapons near the gate. He knew that Nora had made a significant donation towards it from her own pocket, having haggled fiercely with Kessler and old man Stockton.

He made to walk into the crowd, when a hand closed around the back of his shirt collar and he was pulled back. "Not so fast, kid." Burke felt his face blanche and cringed, slowly turning to see Derby Kindler, the leader of the Minutemen contingent accompanying the settlers. She was a leathery faced woman with suspicious eyes and a scar running from one side of her face to the other.

She had been a near constant visitor at Nora's bedside, discussing strategies on how to safely move the settlers to a new home. As such, she had become familiar with both Burke and the Paladin, apparently now able to recognise him on sight, even if he was out of his uniform and wearing clothes better suited to a farmer's son. "Does the General know you're here?" She asked, chewing on the gum in her mouth.

"Yes." Burke replied defiantly.

"SQUIRE." Burke flinched at the Paladin's shout and Derby smiled a slow, yellow toothed grin.

She turned, forcing Burke to turn with her. Paladin Danse's expression was as terrifying as the Elder's when he had heard of how Burke had tried to steal a weapon from the armoury. "I thought so," Derby drawled, dragging him along after her.

The Paladin was walking alongside Nora, allowing her to lean on his arm. The Knight's face was grey with pain as she hobbled beside him, sweat plastering her loose hair to her face. She looked a different person from the smart, friendly woman he had first met. They drew to a halt as Derby approached them, Nora leaning heavily on Danse and catching her breath.

"General! I think we almost had a stowaway on our hands." Derby pulled Burke in front of her, straight into his companion's glares.

"I wasn't running away! I just wanted to see Tara!" Burke insisted, panicking a little. Nora just looked weary, but Danse looked as though he wanted to hit him.

"There's a seat near the gate," Derby continued, releasing Burke's collar. "Might be better for you to take a seat, General. You don't look mighty steady there."

"That would be an excellent idea," Danse interjected as Nora tried to shake her head. He seized Burke's arm with his free hand and began to follow Derby, Nora sighing as she followed her human crutch.

Once Nora was seated, she was quickly inundated with grateful settlers and Minutemen who wished her well. Danse stood stiffly to attention at her shoulder, watching the people warily, his hand a vice about Burke's wrist. Finally, a woman with matted dark hair and a haunted face approached, and there, holding her hand was Tara, Burke's cap atop her head.

Burke had not recognized Tara's mother at first. She looked as though she had aged twenty years, the lips that had smiled at him now lined and weighed down with sadness. The woman dropped Tara's hand to grasp Nora's in both of her own as she thanked her.