The Move

I walk over to the car, open the door, put my backpack in the backseat and sit up in front. Ramona comes around to the other side, sits in the drivers seat and puts the car keys in the ignition. And we just sit there, we sat there for about ten minutes when she finally starts the car, and begins to drive.

The car was silent until Ramona says, "Honey, are you cold, Do you want me to turn on the heater."

I replied with a smile on my face and said, "No thank you for asking though."

She looks at me, with her big brown eyes and says, "Heather, I think it's time you knew this, your mom thought it was a good idea to give you away because she has leukemia, and she thought it would be best if you didn't watch her suffer."

I thought to myself, why didn't she just tell me, I could stood there by her side through thick and thin, I mean I love her, why wouldn't she let me take care of her? Tons of thoughts raced through my head, I wanted to say everything that popped into my head, but nothing came out. It was like I was abandon, like I had no reason to live. At that moment my chest raced with confusion a I closed my eyes and fell asleep in the blink of an eye. That short nap that I took in Ramona's car, it was a way of me letting go of everything that I just thought I had control over. When I woke up, it felt like I was going to fall asleep forever. When I woke up, I was laying on a couch that I've never seen before with a blanket resting on the top of my body. I got up off the couch, Ramona walked in and asked if I was hungry.

I said, " Actually yes, I'm starving, where am I?"

She said, " Oh good! I made some of my chicken noodle soup. I can almost promise you will love it."

I said, "okay where is the bathroom?"

She pointed to the door that had a sign on the front that said of its pee let it be, if it's brown flush it down. I have no idea why but that phrase made me laugh, I just got a kick out of that one. Anyways, I walk over to the door, open it, and walk into the bathroom with shock. It was beautiful, it had a gorgeous granite counter with soft salmon colored towels, and a humongous bathtub. I was in heaven. I "do my business" as I admire the stunning bathroom then I return back to the stunning bathroom.

Who would have ever known that I would be living here, in this splendid house, with this really nice lady?

As I lay there on her cloud-like couch, a man walks in, introducing himself as Phillip.

I say to him, " Hi, I'm Heather. Who are you?

He says "I'm going to be your new dad!"

Those words that that strange and awful man just said to me, made my heart skip a beat. I don't know how someone could possibly just out of the blue say that to someone they just met? All I knew was that I didn't like him...

Phil and Ramona take me into my "so called bedroom" carrying the boxes that I packed full of my stuff. The give me a brief tour like I don't know what a window looks like? Then Ramona excuses herself! walking into the bathroom across the way.

Phil puts down my boxes and comes to sit next to me on my bed he says to me, "I know I will never live up to the standards of your real father, but I can try, and I will always be here for you"

I smile politely and nod.

He exits the room and says to make myself at home, and to come get Ramona or Phil if i need anything.