Coffee

We arrive at Josh's house in about 15 minutes. I recognize the street as one I pass everyday on my way to school. Hmmm I wonder.

"Josh?"

" Yeah Ty?"

"What school do you go to?"

"Well I'm actually transferring to New Albany High next week. I've been homeschooled for awhile now but my mom decided it's time"

I smile. That's my school

"Oh really that's cool. I've been homeschooled too actually. "

Josh smiles and turns to the stairs "momma can you come down here. Bring your med kit"

There's a commotion going on upstairs and soon enough a short blonde lady comes rushing down the steps and grabs Josh's face scanning for injury. He laughs and breaks free from her grasp.

"It's not me momma relax. This is my friend Tyler. He umm he fell and I want you to make sure he's ok. Like concussion test and stuff."

His mom with a relieved but also strange look in her eye shifts her focus from Josh to me.

"Well pardon my manners. I'm Josh here's mom and you may call me momma dun. Now come along let me examine you in the bathroom."

Josh starts to follow us

"Josh go downstairs and boil some water. You need to make the spaghetti your father will be here with your uncle soon. "

Josh stops and nods quietly. He then disappears quickly leaving me with momma dun.

"Alright Tyler. Sit up on the sink counter. "

I do as told as she opens her medical kit. For a nurse she sure has a lot of tools. Bandages, gauze, stitches, and tons more stuff i don't know the proper names for.

"Alright so tell me the nature of your fall. Oh and will you unbutton your shirt so I can check your vitals please?"

Sure as long as I don't have to take it off. It's freezing in here. I unbutton my shirt and begin with

"Well I love climbing trees. So I just climbed up up up up up to the sky until I couldn't climb anymore. Then next thing I knew I was crash landing on the ground. I was unconscious for about two hours Josh said and then we just rested for a bit and then he took me here. Oh I should probably call my parents it's late"

Wait. It is late. Why is Josh making dinner so late?

Momma dun reaches into her pocket and hands me a phone. She declares me injury and concussion free and okays me to go home but tells me to take it easy. Then she leaves giving me some privacy.

I sigh knowing this will be a rough conversation ahead of me. As soon as my mom pucks up Josh walks in

"Hey tyl-" he begins

"TYLER ROBERT JOSEPH WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING OUT SO LATE. AND WHY THE FFFF ARENT YOU ANSWEREING YOUR PHONE. WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU. AND ILL BE DAMNED IF YOU DONT TELL ME THE TRUTH" my mom screeched.

Josh's awkward expression makes it clear he heard all of that.

"Mom I'm ok. I fell down in the forest and a boy found me. His mom is a nurse so he took me home with him so she could clean me up but she said I'm fine just a few bruises on my chest. Nothing major. I'll be home soon I promise."

"OMG TYLER YOU BETTER NOT HAVE BEEN CLIMBING THOSE DAMNED TREES. GET YOUR ASS HOME RIGHT NOW SO I CAN KILL YOU. BUT BE CAREFUL GOODNESS GRACIOUS TYLER WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH YOU??"

"Love me and accept I'm a weird child. I'll be home soon. Love you mom."

I end the call and exhale. That wasn't as bad as I thought. Josh looks up at me and says

"Well your mom sure can curse the paint off the walls can't she?"

I giggled. Yes I know not very manly of me but I giggled and said
"Oh that was nothing. She's fine just worried. Do you think I can get a ride home?"

Josh responds "yeah sure but umm can I have a favor"

I smile " sure Josh anything"

"Can I come over tonight? It just my uncle and my dad can be kinda loud when they hang out and they umm keep me up at night. Anyway please. It's ok if not I know you barely know me and all"

Something doesn't seem right about his request but I'm happy to help of course.

"Sure Josh of course. Just grab a bag of clothes so we can go. You heard my mom"

Josh laughs and grabs a bag out of his closet. It's alarmingly already packed. I'm going to have to ask about this i see.

"Let's go" Josh says leading me out of his house and to his car. We drive off and as I look in the side mirror I see his mother running out of the house.

Something tells me Josh won't be staying just one night.