Chapter 17

*Amarie's P.O.V*
Birmingham, Alabama
We were sitting in the lobby, waiting for the nurse to call Fergal's name. I had helped him sign in and I sighed. "You're making me nervous, Grá." Fergal said. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm nervous for you though. It's been almost a year and a half since I came back from my knee injury. Look." I said and showed him the scar from my surgery. "I had to have surgery because my injury was just like Colby's. I attained it differently than he did." I said. "How?"
"Summer Rae. She botched the move and I hurt myself seriously because of her." I said. "Fergal Devitt." The nurse said. He stood up and held his hand out to me. I took his hand and he helped me up. He kept ahold of my hand as we followed the nurse. The doctor came in and talked with Fergal. "I'll be outside." I told Fergal. He nodded and I stepped outside the room. I leaned against the wall and sighed. "Excuse me, are you all right, ma'am?" I looked up at a nurse. "Yes, I'm fine." I told her. The door opened and Fergal stepped out. "You okay, grá?" He asked. "I'm fine. I'm just tired is all." I told him. "Me too." He said. They had Fergal settled in the bed and was fixing to start his IV. "I hate needles." Fergal said. I smiled and grabbed my phone. I snapped a picture of him as they were doing his IV.

 I snapped a picture of him as they were doing his IV

"Are you taking pictures of me?" He asked. "Maybe." I said. "All right. I'm done." The nurse said. "Distraction is key." I said with a smile. "She's right. I heard that you two are engaged. When's the wedding?" The nurse asked. I took Fergal's hand and sighed. "It was supposed to be Friday, but we decided to postpone it for a few weeks. His decision. He wants to wait so he can hold both of my hands." I said. "How sweet! He's a keeper." She said. The anesthesiologist came in and talked with Fergal. "Well, it's almost time to take him." The nurse said as they gave him his anesthesia in his IV. "All right. I'll see you after your surgery." I told Fergal. I leaned over and kissed him. "You two are so cute." She said. "Thanks." I told her and stood up. "I'll be fine, grá. Ashford should be here soon." He said. I nodded and walked out of the room to the lobby. Ashford was sitting there. "Is he being taken back?" He asked. I nodded and sat beside him. "Where's Melanie?" I asked. "With Ashton and Becks. How are you doing?" He asked. "Tired. I've had just as much sleep as Fergal and I can barely keep my eyes open." I said. Ashford took his jacket off and draped it across me. "Get some sleep. We're going to be here awhile." He said. I put my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes. I drifted off a few minutes later.

*Ashford's P.O.V*
Anita came out from the back a few minutes after I had arrived. "Is he being taken back?" I asked. She nodded and sat next to me. "Where's Melanie?" Anita asked. "With Ashton and Becks. How are you doing?" I asked. "Tired. I've had just as much sleep as Fergal and I can barely keep my eyes open." She said. I shrugged out of my jacket and draped it across her. "Get some sleep. We'll be here awhile." I told her. Anita put her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes. I settled in the chair and I felt her relax. "And she's out." I said. Ashton's number popped up on my phone for face time. "Hey guys." I said. "Hey, is he in surgery?" Ashton asked. "He just went in a few minutes ago. Anita is asleep on my shoulder now. How's Mel doing?" I asked. "She's doing okay. Her and Hailey are playing dolls right now." Ashton said. "Traveling to Vegas is tiring, isn't it?" I asked. "With two kids it is." He said. I chuckled and looked at Anita. "How's she doing?" Ashton asked. "She's like the rest of us, tired and drained." I said. "Is dat Dada?" Melanie asked. "Sure is, cácaí leanbh. Are you behaving for Uncle Ashton and Auntie Becky?" I asked. "Sure am. I play dollies wid Hailey." She said. "Awesome! Make sure you behave tonight okay, cácaí leanbh? Promise me." I said. "I promise, Dada. I love you." She said. "I love you too."
"We'll let you go. I'll see you in Orlando." Ashton said. "Okay. Bye." I said and hung up. Anita shifted and pulled my coat tighter around her. I sighed and started playing a game on my phone.

*A few hours later
Anita's P.O.V *
I opened my eyes and sat up. I looked over at Ashford and smiled. He was asleep. I stretched and stood up. I decided to wake up Ashford and take him with me. "Ferdie, come on. Wake up." I said. He opened his eyes and looked around. "How long have I been out?" He asked. "Not to long. I really don't know." I said. "Is he still in surgery?" He asked. "I believe so. I'm going to go find a Starbucks and get me a coffee." I said. "I'll get it. Tell me what you want. You should be here in case they're done and he asks for you." Ashford said. I handed him his jacket. "Java chip frappé." I said. He nodded and headed to his car.
Twenty minutes later the doctor came out and spoke to me. I listened to how serious the injury really was. The nurse came out and smiled at me. "He's awake and asking for you." She said. "Okay." I said and followed her to his room. "Fergal, I have your fiancé." She said. I stepped out from behind her. "His brother should be back by now. His name is Ashford. He'd like to see Fergal too. Can you send him back?" I asked her. "Sure thing." She said and headed back to the lobby. "Want me to take a picture of you for the Bálor Club?" I asked him. He nodded his head. I snapped this photo and posted it on his Twitter page.

 I snapped this photo and posted it on his Twitter page

"What did you do while I was under?" Fergal asked. "Slept most of the time, Ashford did too." I said. Ashford then stepped in the room. "Hey Ferdie." Fergal said. "Sore?" Ashford asked. "Not really, but I will be." He said.

*Skip to the hotel*
I finally got Fergal settled in and sat back in the chair. "It's going to be a long road, but we can do this." I said. "Yes we can, grá. Because I have you and that's more than enough for me." He said. "Thank you." I said, kissing his head.

"You just rest

"You just rest. It'll be good for you." I pulled the blanket up around him and elevated his shoulder. "I'm always here." I whispered to him as he fell asleep. I started humming the lullaby my mother sang to me as a kid as his Mom stood in the doorway.