Chapter Fifteen

Crisp spring air rustled all the trees as I walked to school, I sucked in a breath, embracing the chills that crawled down my back.

How it got this cold in April surpasses my understanding.

I quickly remembered what special event our school had in two weeks time.

Our senior spring formal, our second to last dance before prom. And I was thankful I had gotten my cast off so I wouldn't have to have pictures with that eyesore in them.

My insides swirled with all the nerves I had, I couldn't wait to get out of high school but another part of me screamed in terror.

How did it all go by this fast?

All the emotions of the past year could be classified as a Six Flags roller coaster. Crazy, gut-wrenching and full of utter terror.

Well, maybe not terror.

My life felt finally on track for once, I had made peace with Cody, accepting the past and continuing our beautiful relationship.

I grew closer to Alyssa, helping her, watching out for her like she was a little sister, more as a protective measure.

And the best part was all the college plans I made for the upcoming fall.

My mother and I had already loaded up on all the cutest dorm stuff, I was so relieved to be passing 12th grade with my best friend, so I'd be able to walk on stage in a few weeks.

My phone beeped, Alyssa texting to tell me to meet her in the mall.

We had serious dress shopping to do.

The mall was quite empty for a Friday but it didn't stop Alyssa from marching through every store to find the perfect dress.

She had luckily met a cute guy in her Bio class and they mutually decided to go with each other, I of course would be with Cody.

"It's kind of funny," I began, walking alongside Alyssa, who was busily running through her receipts she racked up.

"What is?"

"I used to hate dances for the longest time.."

Alyssa stopped and half-grinned, "Me too," she admitted.

"It's just no fun when you're alone on a night that's meant for flirting and romance you spent it couped up watching movies and eating candy."

It was true though before Tim I never had a boyfriend for dances.

All my older friends never wanted to go either, so I hadn't.

Perhaps my lack of self confidence stemmed from my crummy boyfriendless past, haunting me of love I would never have.

Until Cody that is.

Alyssa's participation in the party committee for our school was beneficial for me knowing the theme before anyone else.

The theme was 'Forever in Love'.

A notion most people don't believe in anymore.

Cody however, was determined to believe in it.

Part of me still held back, I knew Cody, however I didn't want to have my heart break again, I didn't want to end up finding him in bed with another girl crushing my heart like his kiss had.

My phone rang, alerting my attention I picked up to hear a cheery voice, "Hey love," Cody chirped.

"Hey," smiling into the phone.

"I have something special for you," he replied, a tone of excitement shooting through his voice.

"Ooo what is it?" I squeaked, silly and childish as I was, I loved surprises.