My hanini

I bolted up at the sound of my alarm blaring in the small tree house. Oh shoot! I never went home!  Agh and now I was going to be late for work! Scrambling up I gathered my things and jumped out of the tree house.  I hope sue doesn't know I'm gone! I though as I hit the ground running.  I came out of the trees dodging cars and people out walking to various places. By time I got home my ankle was killing me. Great,  work is gonna be awful. It's Monday we'll have the big lunch rush. Sneaking inside I saw that sue has already left. "Phew". Hurriedly  I put my uniform on and brushed my hair putting it in a tight bun. There was no time for a shower. Running out the door I jumped on  my bicycle and headed to the little diner on the fringe of my neighborhood. Arriving I chained up my bicycle before racing to clock in. " Your 15 minutes late Phoenix" an older waitress Jana reminded me. She was always keeping people in line. "I know! I know! I'm sorry! This morning was crazy". "Just don't do it to often. Now help me with the breakfast rush. Everybody and their cousin jimmy is here!" Yes ma'am". The day flew by and before I knew it, it was three o'clock.  time for me to go home. Just as I expected my ankle at this point was screaming with each step. " I need to go home and just prop my ankle" I mumbled to myself. Arriving home I dug threw my purse trying to find my keys. Wait... Where's hanini's journal? Shoot I must have left it at the tree house! Ugh I'd have to go back. Sighing I got back on my bike and headed for the woods. As soon as I reached the outskirts I had to get off the  bike and walk it beside it. It was rough going trying to drag it over roots and  loose rocks. It was even slower with my ankle sending white hot shooting pains up my leg clear to my hip. I stopped every five minutes or so to rest. It was on one of these breaks I heard a voice behind me. " what are you doing here Phoenix?" I turned around at the sound of hanini's voice twisting my ankle and falling in the process. "Hey now,careful" he said at my side in an instant. I stared at his almond shaped eyes filled with concern. "I thought you didn't want to see me anymore" I murmured. Confusion washed over his features. "Why wouldn't I want to see you?"  "Because you broke up with me". "Phoenix did you hit your head? I never broke up with you. Why would I ever do that?"  He didn't remember. "Uhh never mind" I said looking away. "Well I think I better get you to the tree house and bind your ankle for you" he said lifting me in his arms. "But my bike.." "Nobody's gonna take your bike nobody comes out here. You know that". "Humph". He chuckled at me as I buried my face in his neck trying to hold onto the hanini I knew. Arriving at the clearing a minute later he set me down gently ,while still supporting my wight. "You need to get on my back so I can climb up the latter". I jumped on one foot while he half drug me onto his back. Once I was finally settled he climbed up the few rungs into the little structure now rarely visited. Setting me down on a beanbag he dug through the chest against the wall for the first aid kit he kept here just for me. While he was searching for it I noticed his journal laying beside the other beanbag. He couldn't find it here! Inching along I tried to grab it without him noticing. Agh! Just out of reach. " here it is". I bolted upright trying to act nonchalant. "What have you been up to?" He asked looking at me suspiciously. "What do you mean?" I asked innocently. "Never mind" he said shaking his head. Dragging the other beanbag over he he placed my foot in his lap gingerly. I hissed in pain as shots of lightning went up my leg. "Sorry" he said trying to be gentle. "Remember the last time I had to bind your foot and  you ended up kicking me in the groin?" I couldn't help but laugh. " yeah you had tears in your eyes. I felt bad but it was so funny at the same time". "Yeah I don't remember you being very apologetic" he said smiling. " I probably wasn't knowing me".  He smiled before finishing off the bandage. "There that should support it well enough you won't twist  it so bad". "Thanks Han" I murmured getting a familiar warm feeling. I didn't need that right now. I had to keep my head clear. "Well I guess I should get back. Sue will be home in a few hours."  "Your aunt doesn't get back till 8 on weeknights. I think you really did hit your head if you don't remember that. You should stay here with me for a little while and rest. Then I'll take you home". His head was pretty clear today if he remembered when my aunt got off work. " I don't want you to hurt yourself again. You need to stay off that ankle". Darn those big brown eyes, and him for acting normal. He had me all confused. "Okay" I said against my better judgment.   I Was rewarded with a warm smile. He stood up and gently picked me up. "Wha..!" "Shhh" he whispered while sitting back down, putting me in his lap. "That's better"  he said wrapping his arms around my middle. "So ... Um... What's been going on with you?" I said awkwardly. When had a place I called home become uncomfortable? "It's weird someone broke into the garage and trashed the place. They destroyed all my work and equipment. I can't understand why they'd want to do that". The pain was evident in his voice. My heart squeezed painfully knowing it was him who'd wrecked the garage. He'd done this to himself. It just seemed to make it so much worse. "I'm so sorry hanini that's awful". "The worst part is I can't find the chest my dad and I made. I've looked everywhere but I can't find it. Out of anything they could have taken why'd it have to be that?" My heart cracked. I'd been trying to help him but I just caused him more pain. Turning around I buried my face in his neck. I just wanted all of this to go away. I wanted it all to be over. I just wanted my hanini back.